Asking for rep points

Got any ideas on how to improve the board? Let us know here!

Moderator: Jake

TheGlovemaniac
Banner Extraordinaire

Asking for rep points

Post by TheGlovemaniac »

Just a question about some posters. Why asking rep points when a picture or whatever is posted? I just don't get it!
sorry if I offend someone but I need to know why! :p
Image Image
hotgloveuser123

Re: Asking for rep points

Post by hotgloveuser123 »

I believe this post is meant to be rhetorical, but I think what meerkat is trying to say is traditionally rep points are given by the merit of the post not soliciting the point.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

hotgloveuser123 wrote:...what meerkat is trying to say...
:???: Did something get deleted here?

As for your question, Maniac: some people just like to get rep points (I know I do). It shows that your efforts are appreciated. Since a lot of people don't bother to give any, however, some think it may help to specifically ask for them. I'm afraid that's more often counterproductive, however. I do it sometimes too, just to remind people of the possibility to show some gratitude. And it's also just a good indication of whether people like what you post. It's like asking: do you guys like this? If so, I'll do my best to find more. If not, I won't bother anymore (ya ingrateful bastards! ;)).

So...yeah, that's why, I think. :-)
TheGlovemaniac
Banner Extraordinaire

Post by TheGlovemaniac »

I was not asking about one poster in particular as I know that some posters ask for points ( I haven't noticed that you, Rommeltje are doing that sometimes! :p ) it's just I find that point request useless ( in my opinion ). If no ones answer your post, I think you already have a part of your answer to know if posters like or not! :p

I imagine rep points acts as a kind of "like" as on Facebook.
Image Image
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

TheGlovemaniac wrote:I imagine rep points acts as a kind of "like" as on Facebook.
Yeah, exactly.
TheGlovemaniac wrote:If no one answers your post, I think you already have a part of your answer to know if posters like or not! :p
Well, it was originally meant to prevent people from answering posts, as all that usually produces is stuff like "Thanks, that was great!", which can be really annoying if you're looking for new posts, and all you get are topics you've already seen but with someone's thanks added (this is from experience on other forums). People can appreciate a post, but not have anything substantial to add. Instead of saying nothing, or simply saying thanks, bumping up the topic, they can express their gratitude through rep points.

In addition, on the old forum, the entry into the premium area was automatically linked to the post count, unlike here, where you only become eligible once you make 15 posts. The result back then was that a lot of people would just leave a couple dozen thank you posts in under an hour, get what they wanted from the premium area, and left. That's also where part of the "thank you"-post dislike comes from.

Finally, replying to a post takes at least some effort, which most people don't feel like putting in. Clicking on a thank you button hardly takes any effort at all (although still too much for some, it seems).
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

Like this status if you like what it says.

*waits for numerous rep points*
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Jake wrote:Like this status if you like what it says.

*very tempted to click the negative rep button now* :rolleyes:
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by SexySurgical »

Rommeltje wrote:
Jake wrote:Like this status if you like what it says.

*very tempted to click the negative rep button now* :rolleyes:
x2 8)
Grim
WWGFA Orderly

Post by Grim »

Rep whores occur on pretty much every forum that uses the function, this one appears to use the system in the best way though in that you get one point of reputation each time someone clicks the button, irrespective of how many points they have themselves. At least one other that I'm a member of bases the reputation received on that of the person giving it - this way lies disaster as it frequently ends up as a circle jerk of points awarded to each other to escalate the overall total. It's pretty much ceased to mean anything as those that have been members for years and posted in a purely constructive manner may have less rep than those who've spammed a couple of threads over a few days/weeks/months. The system has little purpose when abused in this fashion.

Some of us like the little green bars next to our names, I freely admit that I do myself, but I prefer to earn them from people feeling that I've posted something constructive or made a good point, not from being a member of a back patting collective. Used properly it can be a gauge of dross to gold where posts are concerned, used improperly it becomes just another form of one one-upmanship (particularly common on tech forums, join date and post count are frequently seen as being a priority - quantity over quality and an opportunity to stroke the e-peen).
Everyone's a freak in one way or another - it's how much and how you choose to express it that counts. As long as it harms no-one (unless that's their preference, of course) then who are we to judge?

Return to “Forum Suggestions”