Changes coming, possible downtimes too

Get up to date with the goings on of the forum

Moderator: Jake

Rommeltje
The man in charge

Changes coming, possible downtimes too

Post by Rommeltje »

As promised, I'm finally going to upgrading the forum to the latest software, and moving it to another host while I'm at it. I'm not sure when exactly this will happen, but it will be this month.

As a result, the forum may be down at unexpected times, and for unexpected lengths of time. (I have no idea yet what problems I will encounter, but I'm sure there will be plenty. :-))

Of course, this also means that the reputation points will soon be gone, so relish yours while you can. ;)
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Re: Changes coming, possible downtimes too

Post by Rommeltje »

In the (hmmm, lets's say unlikely :)) event something does go very, very wrong, I'll post updates on what'll happen next on my Fetlife-account: https://fetlife.com/users/2227104. Add me there (you'll need an account to at least read my posts) so we don't lose track of each other.
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by SexySurgical »

You can check for updates on https://twitter.com/SxySurgGloveFet where I will ´pin´ the latest info above all other tweets.

Also for lotsa nice pics, not limited to glovely stuff as can be seen in bio/description.
Last edited by SexySurgical on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: [i][u]I will ´pin´ the latest info above all other tweets[/u][/i]
Rubrglvlvr
WWGFA donor

Post by Rubrglvlvr »

Sounds good. Hopefully the transition will be seamless.
I love rubber gloves!
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Hooray! Stage one was a success! :whoop: The forum is now hosted by a different server. And it may just be my imagination, but navigation seems already seems to be a lot faster. :)

Next step: upgrading. But that'll probably have to wait a few days.

Also, I just finished the move and have to leave now, so I haven't had any time for bug testing. If you encounter anything, let me know, and I'll look into it.
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by SexySurgical »

We already had problems, but please don't use too fancy characters on the forum, as a notification in the admin home screen implies something is missing to convert those properly.

Rommeltje wrote:[...] so I haven't had any time for bug testing. If you encounter anything, let me know, and I'll look into it.
rubberslave96

Post by rubberslave96 »

I'm lucky, that everything is still here :whoop:
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

SexySurgical wrote:We already had problems, but please don't use too fancy characters on the forum, as a notification in the admin home screen implies something is missing to convert those properly.
Rommeltje wrote:[...] so I haven't had any time for bug testing. If you encounter anything, let me know, and I'll look into it.
Fixed now.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Alllllright. So that was a clusterfuck. :D

Upgrading failed because the forum needs to be scrubbed clean of all mods (such as the reputation points system, but there are more), and that wasn't done properly. I used an automatic tool, assuming it would work, but it didn't. Subsequent attempts at fixing it just got me further down the rabbit hole, so I decided to roll back the upgrade and try again later this week.

NB: The reputation system does not work anymore. You can still see the amount of points you've gathered so far, but if you click on them to see what people have said, you'll get an error. Likewise, if you try to give someone a point, you'll get an error.

This is because I've already ran the automatic cleaning tool again in anticipation of my second attempt. Next, I will do a manual deep clean (during this process, the reputation points on your profile block next to each post will disappear as well). Once I'm sure it's completely clean, I'll try upgrading again, during which time the forum will be down once more (for a few hours if everything goes right or for a few days if something gets fucked up again).

Wish me luck! :up:
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by SexySurgical »

And we're using some backup from like Saturday, as here some posts I did already read are shown unread still...

Return to “News”