Reasons for not using Thanks button

The home of all the polls on the forum

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Why don't you leave rep points?

I forget cuz content is too appealing
50%
Too bothersome: 2 buttons and back link
29%
Technical difficulties (e.g. mobile phone; please specify)
No votes
Wasn't aware it existed
7%
Not sure how it works (please elaborate below)
No votes
Other (please describe in reply)
14%

Total votes: 14

SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Reasons for not using Thanks button

Post by SexySurgical »

In light of a possible upgrade, only halted pretty much by the reputation system not being used as much as we'd like...why?

Subject: Poll: would you mind if reputation points disappeared
Postby Rommeltje » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:36 pm
Last edited by SexySurgical on Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: option: Technical difficulties (e.g. mobile phone; please specify)
dopefish

Re: Reasons for not using Thanks button

Post by dopefish »

The options here seem biased.

I'd not mind if reputation points vanished. I'm not really sure of the advantages. Everyone who hangs around a bit gets a sense for what people bring to the boards.
The disadvantage is it makes people feel they need rep points to be a valid community member. Eh maybe I'm just too old, but the please like and subscribe always seemed unneeded. If people want to do those things they will do them.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

dopefish wrote:I'm not really sure of the advantages. Everyone who hangs around a bit gets a sense for what people bring to the boards.
The disadvantage is it makes people feel they need rep points to be a valid community member. Eh maybe I'm just too old, but the please like and subscribe always seemed unneeded. If people want to do those things they will do them.
That's a valid point, about the system creating a neediness for itself.

The advantages (in theory) are these:

- It encourages (some) people to post content, and keep posting it. Not everyone posts just for the heck of it, they would like to know if people actually appreciate what they post.
- Which brings us to the second advantage: it (ideally) let's people know their posts are being appreciated, even if they don't get (m)any replies. This doesn't happen enough on this forum to really make it ideal, but it might be even worse without. (Looks like we'll find out, if the other poll is any indication.)
- The alternative of showing appreciation without adding something meaningful is replying with something like "thanks!", which needlessly bumps the topic. That gets annoying if you're looking for new content by reading every topic that has a "new post" status.
wmowrg
MIA

Post by wmowrg »

I'd like to point out an option that I see on other forums where it gives the member names of those who have "thanked" a member for a post, rather than giving points, in a box below each post made ... or sometimes just the number of members who have given thanks ...

No overall score is kept as such but other members can see the popular posts by just looking underneath it ...
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

wmowrg wrote:I'd like to point out an option that I see on other forums where it gives the member names of those who have "thanked" a member for a post, rather than giving points, in a box below each post made ... or sometimes just the number of members who have given thanks ...

No overall score is kept as such but other members can see the popular posts by just looking underneath it ...
Yeah, that's an option as well. I'll look if something like that exists once we've upgraded.
wmowrg
MIA

Post by wmowrg »

Let me know if you need an example ... I'll try & find the forum(s) I've seen it on ... ;-)
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by SexySurgical »

I figured I'd make this poll now w/ the massive momentum in the other poll (dozen of replies - that's a first!)
tronn206
WWGFA donor

Post by tronn206 »

I did like too use the thanks button but did find not many people used it for me. :*( Didn't realise I was that boring.:-(

I think a "like" feature like fb would be good.
Twitter- @RubberGloveLove
Instagram - glove_lover206
Fetlife - NitramLatexLover
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

tronn206 wrote:I did like too use the thanks button but did find not many people used it for me. :*( Didn't realise I was that boring.:-(
Yeah, that's another downside too. That if people don't get rep, they think their content is not being appreciated, even though there might be another reason for the lack of response.
wmowrg wrote:Let me know if you need an example ... I'll try & find the forum(s) I've seen it on ... ;-)
Thanks, but I know what you're talking about. ;) I visit plenty of forums that use this method. I'll just have to see if there are any plugins that do that and that work with the new forum software.
devdas5z1

Post by devdas5z1 »

I'll use myself as a test case example I love the rep system. I have a lot of content that I want to post, but I've been disappointed by how few people seem to appreciate my content. I don't know whether my videos are stuff people have already seen, or if it's just not what they're interested in. But I see (for example) one of my recent posts get 90 clicks and 2 thanks. Does that mean the title interested them, but the video didn't? Or people liked it, but forgot to thank me?

Thank goodness that there was at least a rep system that gave me some info on what people liked. The two who thanked me told me why they liked it, and that encouraged me to keep posting. To me, the thanks system helps remind people that it takes time and effort to post stuff, and boards that have removed a version of a reputation system quickly dry up.

I won't name names, but there have been great boards that have died the moment the administrator loosened the rules on members contributing. Thanking a poster is such a small thing to ask for. Sometime I also close the WWGFA tab and forget to thank the poster. But that's no excuse to get rid of the system. So if the reputation points can be salvaged, I'm strongly in favor of keeping it.

Return to “Polls”