Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder - How about you?

Talk about anything that's not gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder - How about you?

Post by Jake »

Tying in with this topic I was wondering if anyone on the board has OCD of any kind?
It might well be an obsession to clean, in which case I imagine you'd have plenty of gloves to hand! Others might be the rituals of touching, tapping, stepping, nodding et cetera.

Do you know anybody else with OCD? Does it affect you, are you concerned for them?

In my eyes, it's a very interesting subject. There have been plenty of TV shows on in the UK, especially recently, about the disorder. The reason behind it isn't all too clear, but I'm laying it down to your brain overriding your conscious thought and telling you to do something, or else.

I myself have a small and fucking annoying!!! compulsion to do certain things. Rituals, if you will. I don't know who coined the term but it seems fitting.
Things like being unable to climb stairs with the wrong foot, inability to look away from certain things without blinking a number of times (It seems to be 14 at the moment, though it can also be 3, 7 and 12. Cannot explain.) or doing certain computer actions multiple times. When I do Ctrl+A and backspace, I have to backspace at least twice to be satisfied. During the course of writing this post I've made a few natural typing errors, which I've then backspaced and corrected, then removed my correction and done it again, removed it and done it again. I can't explain why I do it but if I don't do it then it simply doesn't feel right while I carry on typing.

If I'm washing up, I actually don't like getting anything on the gloves I wear. I know that's what they're there for but they're . . . precious to me :nod: Having said that, I know there's at least one other person in the world who agrees, because there was someone on the TV show (linked above) I was on about.

Nodding and tensing also seems to be something I have developed in the last two years or so. Oftentimes I will find myself tensing a part of my body, generally the back of the neck, for any number of times, until I feel satisfied. Again, fuck knows why.

Now, I'm trusting by the amount of people with glove fetishes there's gonna be plenty of yous here with OCD. Am I right?
Grim
WWGFA Orderly

Re: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder - How about you?

Post by Grim »

Maybe a little bit, on just a couple of things WHICH MUST BE DONE PERFECTLY EVERY TIME OR I WILL EAT YOUR SPLEEN! >:((

The only ones I'll mention are two simple, little things that set me off a touch. The toilet roll goes on the holder with the paper feeding outwards - inwards is anathema and deserves the same treatment reserved for all heretics. Except in unusual circumstances, a toilet has a lid. Please put it down as otherwise I may be inclined to resort to excessive ire, foul language and other such unpleasant behaviour. Both bathroom related but I'm probably a touch more finicky there than elsewhere :$
Everyone's a freak in one way or another - it's how much and how you choose to express it that counts. As long as it harms no-one (unless that's their preference, of course) then who are we to judge?
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

I'm in complete agreement, those things both piss me off. My nephew (4) leaves the lid up and I always have to ask him if he's left it up. Soon he'll learn.

As for the roll, well . . . I remember when I used to get piano lessons (I was around 7 or 8 at this time) at my tutor's house. She'd have hers the other way round and I thought it was just an American thing (She was from Iowa), so I'd always switch it round and then tell her "I've put your toilet roll the right way round now!"
Eek. Bit rude.

Having it so that it's brushing the wall just makes it harder for the user, surely . . .
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Jake wrote:I myself have a small and fucking annoying!!! compulsion to do certain things.
Shit, I really want to make a joke here, but I can't. :-P
Jake wrote:Oftentimes I will find myself tensing a part of my body, generally the back of the neck, for any number of times
Hey, I do that too! I've been trying to stop it for years, but I haven't managed it so far.
Grim wrote:The only ones I'll mention are two simple, little things that set me off a touch. The toilet roll goes on the holder with the paper feeding outwards
Uhm...that's just common sense, isn't it?....Isn't it? :?
Classy_Katy
Glovely Diva

Post by Classy_Katy »

Grim wrote: The toilet roll goes on the holder with the paper feeding outwards - inwards is anathema and deserves the same treatment reserved for all heretics.
OMG yes! I had endless debates with my partner about this and I have finally managed to train him to do it the right way. I read once that the toilet rolls in Buckingham Palace feed outwards, so I use that as my final argument. I even change the rolls round when I'm out if I see them the wrong way round. I'm a Virgo, which seems to have something to do with it too.
Grim
WWGFA Orderly

Post by Grim »

Classy_Katy wrote:
Grim wrote: The toilet roll goes on the holder with the paper feeding outwards - inwards is anathema and deserves the same treatment reserved for all heretics.
OMG yes! I had endless debates with my partner about this and I have finally managed to train him to do it the right way. I read once that the toilet rolls in Buckingham Palace feed outwards, so I use that as my final argument. I even change the rolls round when I'm out if I see them the wrong way round. I'm a Virgo, which seems to have something to do with it too.
If the "training" involved a few things I can think of I might be a touch slow to get the message - it may require repeated attempts :p

Joking aside and to answer Jake seriously - yes, I have a certain degree of OCD. My foibles (I love that word!) primarily focus around environment and I'm just a little bit "funny" about it. Responses vary from "not good" to "that's just wrong!" to "I kill you!" :p
Everyone's a freak in one way or another - it's how much and how you choose to express it that counts. As long as it harms no-one (unless that's their preference, of course) then who are we to judge?
gojohn
Occasional poster

Post by gojohn »

I wouldn't consider myself OCD, but I definitely get bothered by touching gross stuff when I clean; I know I can wash my hands after, but why do that when I can wear some rubber gloves? I use a pair of household gloves or medical gloves to clean most of the time, just to make it more enjoyable :) it almost makes me want to clean, although there are other things I'd rather do with those gloves :P
Zodijackyl
Regular poster

Post by Zodijackyl »

I'm a little OCD about my CD collection, which is quite large. It's alphabetized by band and release date, and I prefer to have the same number of albums on each shelf. It sometimes bothers me that my system is thrown into total chaos at the very bottom, with one randomly organized shelf of my wife's CD's, many of which are in the wrong cases.

Return to “Talk Forum”