Building custom PCs.

Talk about anything that's not gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Rommeltje
The man in charge

Re: Building custom PCs.

Post by Rommeltje »

Oh, so you are going to do video editing. :) Well, then, yes, an i7 would be the better choice. Why not go for the i7-7700, though? It's only 5 dollars more, but newer and better.

What kind of games do you want to play? Because a 750ti really isn't very powerful. Of course, gpu prices go up very fast the better the card gets, so I understand if you want to stick to a budget option. But if you want to play some of the newest games in high resolutions, it may be worth it to save up a little first. An added gpu isn't absolutely essential (there's already (a very low-end) one built into the cpu), so you can always add one later.

If you do decided to go for budget, I'd recommend the 1050ti, though. For basically the same reason as I would advice you to go for the 7700 instead of the 6700 i7; it's a quite significantly better card (almost as good as a regular 770), and it's not that much more expensive, at least not if you shop around a little. (The price mentioned on the gpu boss comparison seems to be for a laptop containing a 1050ti, not for the card itself.)

Can I ask what your budget is?
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Oh, btw, I think you're supposed to buy RAM in even sets, so two of 6GB or four of 3GB if you want 12. But I'm not entirely sure anymore, so you may want to look into that as well.
Carrie Karkus
Glovely Diva

Post by Carrie Karkus »

Rommeltje wrote:Oh, so you are going to do video editing. :) Well, then, yes, an i7 would be the better choice. Why not go for the i7-7700, though? It's only 5 dollars more, but newer and better.

What kind of games do you want to play? Because a 750ti really isn't very powerful. Of course, gpu prices go up very fast the better the card gets, so I understand if you want to stick to a budget option. But if you want to play some of the newest games in high resolutions, it may be worth it to save up a little first. An added gpu isn't absolutely essential (there's already (a very low-end) one built into the cpu), so you can always add one later.

If you do decided to go for budget, I'd recommend the 1050ti, though. For basically the same reason as I would advice you to go for the 7700 instead of the 6700 i7; it's a quite significantly better card (almost as good as a regular 770), and it's not that much more expensive, at least not if you shop around a little. (The price mentioned on the gpu boss comparison seems to be for a laptop containing a 1050ti, not for the card itself.)

Can I ask what your budget is?
I pretty much just play SecondLife, Sims 3 and 4, and some games on emulators (mostly N64, PSX, and other retro games) and some indie games from Steam--Goat Simulator, Neverending Nightmares, and the FNAF games (lol, my tastes are lame, I know XD). I'm going to upgrade to this Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake, per your suggestion. For RAM, I'm going with two 8GB G. Skill Ripjaws modules.. I know it's a lot, but I'm having trouble finding 3 and 6GB modules, and I just saw your post about buying them in even sets. I did some looking around and based on what I read on Tom's Hardware and a couple of other sources, it's not a good idea to have an uneven number of RAM modules (buying three 4GB RAM modules is out of the question, I think. Feel free to correct me). And I think I'll also be going with the 1050Ti on Amazon that you linked--I honestly like buying components from Newegg, but their 1050Ti cards are beyond my budget at the moment. Speaking of my budget, I'm unemployed due to health issues and my parents compensate me financially for helping them and cleaning around the house--I get $130 a month, sometimes an extra $20 or $30 is given if my parents are extra thankful of me. I'd be able to get better components if I'd just save up for a few months, but my goal is to have my machine running by July and upgrade with better hardware as I go along. I plan to reuse my old components in a cheap computer for my mum.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Sounds good! :D

Yep, with those games, the 1050ti should be plenty. :) And the RAM seems like a good choice too. I don't know if you've already been editing lots of videos now (or with what kind of hardware you're currently working), but if you have, you'll be amazed at how fast your edits will render. :-)

You're going to have lots of fun with this! Enjoy! :up:
Carrie Karkus
Glovely Diva

Post by Carrie Karkus »

...I know, I'm on hiatus right now. But I'm having trouble with the new PC and would REALLY love some input from you guys.

I have since moved onto another mobo because my RMA'd ASRock Z270 Killer SLI/ac didn't work, just like the first one didn't. All I got was a pretty light show, no matter what I did.

I now have an Asus Z170-K motherboard. Everything seems to work... I mean, it does better than the ASRock I had before. I can finally get the PC to power on, but... that's all I get. My fans light up and come on, the CPU cooler fan comes on, but I don't get a POST, it doesn't BOOT, my monitor doesn't get any signals (it is connected via DVI, because neither my mobo nor my GPU have VGA outlets. I have tried more than one DVI cable with no luck) and I'm currently waiting on a beep speaker so I can hear beep codes--will update this post when it arrives.

I have tried clearing the CMOS (multiple times), changing the CMOS battery, tried booting with only one module of RAM in each DIMM slot with both memory modules, made sure all of my connectors were connected according to the mobo manual, but to no avail. I have just gotten a PSU tester, and I think the PSU might be okay, based on the reading I got:

My specs are:
-ASUS Z170-K motherboard (LGA 1151 socket)
-2x 8GB (16GB) Team Dark DDR4 2400 RAM
-Raidmax Vampire 700W ATX PSU
-EVGA GeForce 1050 2GB GPU
-Seagate 1TB HDD
-Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake CPU (LGA 1151 socket)
-ASUS optical drive
-DIYPC Solo-T1-R ATX chassis

And to be clear, I'll update this post once my mobo speaker arrives Monday or Tuesday. I know that I am flying blindly without one. REALLY would like to get this puppy running before the year's end--I've been working on it since February.

...Any idea what could be wrong in the meantime?
speedmstr
WWGFA donor

Post by speedmstr »

CarrionCarcass wrote:...I know, I'm on hiatus right now. But I'm having trouble with the new PC and would REALLY love some input from you guys.

I have since moved onto another mobo because my RMA'd ASRock Z270 Killer SLI/ac didn't work, just like the first one didn't. All I got was a pretty light show, no matter what I did.

I now have an Asus Z170-K motherboard. Everything seems to work... I mean, it does better than the ASRock I had before. I can finally get the PC to power on, but... that's all I get. My fans light up and come on, the CPU cooler fan comes on, but I don't get a POST, it doesn't BOOT, my monitor doesn't get any signals (it is connected via DVI, because neither my mobo nor my GPU have VGA outlets. I have tried more than one DVI cable with no luck) and I'm currently waiting on a beep speaker so I can hear beep codes--will update this post when it arrives.

I have tried clearing the CMOS (multiple times), changing the CMOS battery, tried booting with only one module of RAM in each DIMM slot with both memory modules, made sure all of my connectors were connected according to the mobo manual, but to no avail. I have just gotten a PSU tester, and I think the PSU might be okay, based on the reading I got:

Let me begin, by saying that I'm glad to see you back. Even if your visit(s) is/are temporary and fleeting.

Let me also preface this by stating that whilst I have repaired and conducted troubleshooting on PC's before. I cannot guarantee anything I say will work. Also applogies if I repeat anything you have already tried, based on what you have written, you haven't got it successfully booted to install Windows right?

Firstly can you tell us what make and model your monitor is? I think it would help if we knew, as in we could tell you if it had any issues with DVI (this is unlikely, but there are 3 types of DVI connector DVI -A, DVI-D and DVI-I there are also dual link and single link cables ) Using the wrong combination can lead to some issues.

I would begin by reducing your system to the most basic configuration. I suggest attempting to boot it without a graphics card to begin with.

According to Intel's Ark website, your I5 6500 has integrated graphics, so it should be able to display anything on it's own just fine. Furthermore, your Z170K motherboard appears to have a DVI port. You can just connect your motherboards DVI to the Monitor and report back.

If this doesn't work, try booting (without your graphics card installed) with only one RAM module inserted. Insert in the slot(s) recommended by ASUS.

If neither of these result in a successful boot. Report back and someone will help.

Good luck

Chris

I think your power supply is ok too. But we can't rule it out yet.

CarrionCarcass wrote:My specs are:
-ASUS Z170-K motherboard (LGA 1151 socket)
-2x 8GB (16GB) Team Dark DDR4 2400 RAM
-Raidmax Vampire 700W ATX PSU
-EVGA GeForce 1050 2GB GPU
-Seagate 1TB HDD
-Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake CPU (LGA 1151 socket)
-ASUS optical drive
-DIYPC Solo-T1-R ATX chassis

And to be clear, I'll update this post once my mobo speaker arrives Monday or Tuesday. I know that I am flying blindly without one. REALLY would like to get this puppy running before the year's end--I've been working on it since February.

...Any idea what could be wrong in the meantime?
Carrie Karkus
Glovely Diva

Post by Carrie Karkus »

speedmstr wrote:Firstly can you tell us what make and model your monitor is? I think it would help if we knew, as in we could tell you if it had any issues with DVI (this is unlikely, but there are 3 types of DVI connector DVI -A, DVI-D and DVI-I there are also dual link and single link cables ) Using the wrong combination can lead to some issues.
My monitor is an HP 21kd monitor. It works with my laptop on VGA.
speedmstr wrote:(this is unlikely, but there are 3 types of DVI connector DVI -A, DVI-D and DVI-I there are also dual link and single link cables ) Using the wrong combination can lead to some issues.
I just checked the DVI port on my monitor and on the plug-in on the cable... turns out I've got a DVI-D single-link and I need a DVI-D dual-link. I _think_ this could very well be the problem! Thanks for mentioning that!
speedmstr
WWGFA donor

Post by speedmstr »

The reason I suggested that you reduce your system to a more basic configuration is to determine if any of your parts are DOA (DEAD ON ARRIVAL).

If you remove the parts and just kept the motherboard, cpu and a stick of ram in and it boots. Then you can reconnect components bit by bit to determine, what may be causing the problem.

I really do hope it is just the DVI cable's.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

It could be the RAM itself too. The first time I changed my RAM, I bought the wrong one, as I didn't know yet that it had to be compatible with your system. And another time, I had a DOA stick of RAM. My computer failed to boot both times.
speedmstr
WWGFA donor

Post by speedmstr »

Rommeltje wrote:It could be the RAM itself too. The first time I changed my RAM, I bought the wrong one, as I didn't know yet that it had to be compatible with your system. And another time, I had a DOA stick of RAM. My computer failed to boot both times.
I think Rommeltje's suggestion is better than mine. That could well be the problem, as I've also experienced something similar and it turned out to be the RAM.

Have you got a local computer shop, willing to grant you access to a single stick of working DDR4 RAM to test with?

Some shop owners, will lend you what ever part you need to troubleshoot with, (provided that you stay within their store while testing). If it works you can buy it.

You may need to call ahead of time and ask nicely though.

Return to “Talk Forum”