Cordea's daily song thread (and other off topic stuff!)

Talk about anything that's not gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Cordea
Regular poster

Re: Cordea's daily song thread (and other off topic stuff!)

Post by Cordea »

Today's song is by a Peruvian guitarist named Charlie Parra Del Riego and although he has lots of excellent covers of songs that he puts his own spin on uploaded to his channel I thought his own music should be acknowledged, the man has talent, there's no doubting it. Here are two links related to an article that I read yesterday that completely shocked me. It's very interesting and it really shows how bad things can get for some people when there is no alternative there for them, both in terms of what they take and they have no way of getting the help that they need.
The article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 00787.html
A picture of what is described in the article (read it first but bear in mind this picture is probably NSFW and not for anyone who is squeamish/of a young age). http://animalnewyork.com/wp-content/upl ... 6/ROT1.jpg

On a brighter note, has anyone seen Unknown? Got it earlier and following on from the likes of Taken I'm very optimistic. Also want to see The Green Lantern...and Captain America...and The Avengers....but mostly looking forward to Deadpool. Anyone ever seen any of the Deadpool stuff? They've chosen the perfect actor to play him, Ryan Reynolds, he can pull off the sarcastic prick role but still be funny and not make you want to hurl a brick at him.

As a bonus, here's two videos of another artist that is mainly based on youtube, though some might not call it music...

Bonus points if you can guess what song from SF it is :P

He does lots of other stuff like Lady Gaga etc, his accent is atrociously strong when he speaks english but can't fault what he does, worth checking out his other videos.

Tomorrow...something a bit different I reckon :P
Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

The above song was written (and performed) by Phil Coulter but as it is stated in the video, the version by Luke Kelly is simply the best. The man has an amazing voice and puts raw emotion into a song that is truly sad, you only need to hear the lyrics to know that it is tragic. He handled nearly (if not all) all of the ballads for The Dubliners since his voice just worked well with them. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but you owe it to yourself to give it a full listen at least once.

Hello? Are you still there?.....Kinda feels a bit empty in here :P
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

I'm listenin' ;)
Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

Bit of a belated post, unforeseen circumstances meant I couldn't post over the last couple of days so three songs in this post. First one is from a comedy group that I'm sure you'll know from Saturday Night Live, The Lonely Island. The song is one that they performed with Rihanna (or however you spell her name) and it's actually pretty funny when you watch it with the video.

The second is a song that is very heavy but I've heard it a couple of times over the last day or so (iPod on shuffle) and it got stuck in my head. The title is Kirsute Gomen and it refers to a law (Kiri Sute Gomen - meaning Authorisation to cut and leave) in the Edo period of feudal Japan which stated that a samurai could strike anyone of a lower standing if they felt that person had done something negative to the samurai's honour. The obvious happened though and the law was abused to the point where samurai could wander through a village, walk up to a child and behead him with no (legal) consequences. Often if the family attempted to avenge the fallen they would either be killed in the fight or would be tried and subsequently executed. Before the law was abused if the samurai acted outside of the law they would be executed without being allowed to commit seppuku (a ritual suicide that they performed in order to let them regain their honour, often performed by the losing general at the end of a large battle).

The third is a lovely little song that you might have come across before. It's called In The Sun and it's performed by Joseph Arthur. I'll let the song speak for itself, it really is a lovely song.

So yeah, enjoy those! And if that bit about Kiri Sute Gomen interested you it's worth having a read about history for that era in Japan and also having a read of Japanese mythology, there isn't as much in it as there is in greek/roman etc but it's interesting nonetheless. It's how I learned about that law!
Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

This needs no introduction or explanation. Aerials by System Of A Down, one of my favourite songs from my favourite band, simply amazing. Enjoy!
Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

Today we have a song by Apocalyptica (with Linda Sundblad, former singer of a Swedish pop group called Lambretta) called Faraway. Unfortunately the only decent quality version on youtube is Vol.2 which is the version with the guest singer, the normal one is just the band playing their instruments. That said she's not a bad singer at all and she is very easy on the eyes, only thing that annoyed me about it was the way she danced in the video, rolling her head around while holding her hair....really doesn't fit in with the mood of the song I think :P Anyways enjoy ladies and gents (and look up the non vocal version if you can get it!).

Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

Something a bit different today. It's by a band called At The Drive In (was going to put a genre down for them but they fit a few, Post-Hardcore, Progressive, Alternate etc) who are very odd but ultimately are excellent. The singer (Cedric Bixler-Zavala) and bassist (Omar Rodríguez-López) left the band in 2001 because they became "too famous and mainstream" (though the formal statement was that they needed a break) and formed the band The Mars Volta (they're also well worth listening to, same style for the most part). Anyway, this song is called Pattern Against User and it's off their final album, Relationship of Command. So yeah, enjoy!

Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

Feckin' net went down last night so couldn't do a post so two videos today.

First is probably the most haunting song I've ever heard, most of you will probably know it. DeVotchKa - How It Ends.

Second one is a song that is very close to my own heart. I was at the show in the video, up at the front with tears in my eyes when they played it and I have no shame in admitting that a song had me (a man in his early 20's) in tears. Met them after the show and they were genuinely some of the nicest people I've ever met. I know a lot of people say that about bands they like but they truly were. It didn't feel like I was meeting members of one of my favourite bands, it felt like I had met a bunch of sound lads in a pub or something (which happens often enough!). Told the singer about the song having me in tears and he was taken aback, said it meant a lot to him that someone had been touched by the music. Yeah it sounds cheesy but it was genuine! So I'll stop blathering, listen to the song and you'll see what I mean about the emotion. The band is Black Stone Cherry and the song is Peace Is Free.

Feck it, bonus song! Same show as the last video. Song is called Rain Wizard. Even watching that video I still get goosebumps at the start when the crowd shouts "Here comes the rain!".

Was tempted to add a third video but don't want to spam it. Just look for a song from the same show (and same uploader as Peace Is Free) called Things My Father Said. It's another touching song, particularly the chorus, "Somewhere there's a star that's shining, so bright that I can see your smile. And all that I need is one last chance to hear.....you say......goodbye". And the start of the second verse, "Sometimes I remember when you taught me to tie my shoes. One thing I'll never forget is the day that I lost you". So yeah, it's also one to listen to.

To summarise those songs... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

I've barely heard of any of these bands :o
Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

Well then this topic has been worth it! The entire idea was to get posts up of various artists/bands to introduce people to new music. That's why I'm avoiding posting songs from a band more than once if it can be avoided. I have an EXTENSIVE music collection and my taste encompasses a large amount of genres, only genre I can't stand is modern RnB/rap/dance (they're all merging into one in my honest opinion, there's not really any definition between them anymore, at least not the mainstream stuff). I've often gone from listening to 3 Doors Down to Michael Bublé to Sepultura and enjoyed all of it. It's also why I'm trying to get others to post some of their favourite music. If at all possible avoid really big artists/bands since we want to introduce new things. For example, if you like pop-rock/indie rock, avoid posting a Kings of Leon song. If you like house/trance/electro, avoid things like Deadmau5 or possibly Pendulum. If you like metal, avoid a Metallica song (I was going to say Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden but then I realised that everyone has time for Sabbath or Maiden).

I'll continue this post later on but for now I hope you understand what I mean and what I want to achieve. So, get posting ladies and gents or so help me I'll start making every post a rick roll or a link to nyan cat!

Edit: Continuing the post.

Anyway, my point is there are a lot of great bands and artists that aren't as well known as they should be and this thread can help rectify that. For example, I never knew about At The Drive In until a couple of years ago when a guy in the college course I did gave me a couple of their albums to listen to. Quite simply, mind=blown. I first heard System Of A Down shortly after they released their second album, Toxicity, and ever since then they've been my favourite band. They are....well, unique really. A swedish friend of mine was the one to introduce me to Amorphis (among other bands) and their stuff is also right up my alley. So, time to stop blathering on, I've got shit to do! If you feel like throwing up a song or two in a post do so, let's enrich the musical tastes of others. Failure to do so will result in me constantly posting this so do not disappoint me! :twisted:

I won't rick roll you lot though, I'm keeping that for other forums :D

Return to “Talk Forum”