Cordea's daily song thread (and other off topic stuff!)

Talk about anything that's not gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Cordea, your signature! :up:

???? ???? ?? ??????? ????? ???????. 8-)
Cordea
Regular poster

Re: What gloves do you prefer?

Post by Cordea »

What about my signature? I couldn't be arsed so I just used the same lettering used for english etc, I'll nab what you just put down and stick into my sig though too, cheers :D Any idea what it means?
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

*edit: I changed this post after I realized you do know where your quote is from. :$

Mine's what follows your quote ("nothing is true, everything is permitted"), and translates to "we work in the dark to serve the light." 8) I couldn't find the way to spell it phonetically, so I just left it like this.

You did misspell it, though. It should be: Laa shay'a waqui'n moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine. ;)

(Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 415AAQDp3V)
Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

Simply a small mistake, shall be rectified when I get a chance :P That said, I do know where that quote is from but that isn't where my knowledge stops, I've studied the Nazari and lots of people tend to get the wrong about them and the use of the name hashshashin etc. Very interesting group to read about if anyone here is interested in history, especially history that isn't often discussed. But that is a different topic for a different day. The quote Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted was a philosophy of mine before it was brought into a mainstream media. I do have my religious beliefs but regardless of them I still believe that everything we do, we do ourselves. I don't believe that something is simply down to fate or chance or even luck. Something happened and it had an outcome.

Nothing Is True: Nothing is destined to happen, it isn't set in stone.
Everything Is Permitted: Anything can happen but it requires someone to take action.

I know that isn't the exact meaning that is intended but the phrase fits my own beliefs too. Oh btw, about the source, I was the first person to get all three of the current ones in my area (I made sure of it!) and I have matching tattoo's for each of my arms, so I think I'm slightly fond of it, just a small bit. Once the next one comes out, well...I'll let this smiley take care of the description... 8D

Oh yeah, my song of the day:

If you like his voice but don't know who he is, google it, you'll probably be surprised :P And watch more, he has an amazing voice but the two guitarists don't have their talents shown properly in those videos unfortunately. That song is off their newest album: Audio Secrecy.

And wow my posts turn out to be reaaaaaallly long when I get carried away.

Edit: Took me a couple of attempts but I realised why the youtube embed wasn't working. Included link for users that can't see embed or prefer a link to the youtube page.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Interesting read! :D

For now I'll keep it to a short response:
Cordea wrote:Once the next one comes out, well...I'll let this smiley take care of the description... 8D
Amen, brother! :mrgreen: Let me know if you find anything out about that. (Seems like you're the guy to be on top of this. ;))
Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

Find anything out about what now? Just asking to make sure we are on the same page.

Todays song of the day is an instrumental piece by a pianist called Yurima, song is called River Flows in You. Beautiful piece of music, nice and mellow. My own taste in music is extremely varied, I think the next one will have to be a bit heavier, try to keep it all balanced ;) Think I'll make a separate thread for future ones though, kinda hijacking this thread (proud member of Les Derailleurs!) and that is only counter-productive!

On second thoughts feck it, here's a bonus song. It is by a band called The Coronas and it is in my native tongue, Gaeilge. The song is called Taibhsí nó Laochra (meaning Heroes Or Ghosts). Kinda shows why Gaeilge is often referred to as a language of poets and musicians :tongue:

So yeah, tomorrow, nice bit of metal!

Quick edit: Ignore the visual content on the second video, the song is supposed to show another view of it (that these things are ghosts, a thing of the past) but unless you understand the lyrics it isn't fully clear. Amazing song though!
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Cordea wrote:Find anything out about what now? Just asking to make sure we are on the same page.
About this! 8D

Did you already know that? :-) It looks great! Also, pay attention to the music. It's a beautiful song, of which the original video is amazing too:

Perhaps we should move this conversation to the Talk Forum, btw. ;)
Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

So, I said I'd put up some metal today so heres a song by a Finnish metal band called Amorphis, the song is called Majestic Beast which is on an album released in 2009 called Skyforger. I'd highly recommend that you get it if you like metal. It's not all growling, it's not all singing but it's all epic. Anyway, video is a live version since they do it extremely well in live shows. Watching it makes me want long hair again, used to be down my back, perfect for headbanging at metal shows.

So back to the discussion as it ended in the other thread, I've been following it since they started hinting at another game that wasn't the last in the "trilogy". I've been expecting them to return to Masyaf or go to Constantinople since I finished Brotherhood, it made sense since the first game didn't end decisively and they expanded the story of the first game within the second and Brotherhood, Ezio had to go back to trace his ancestor's steps. What remains to be seen is how Desmond will tie into this game. I won't say any more to avoid spoilers since some people may decide to play it and Brotherhood ended with a bitch of a moment, I was trying my hardest to avoid it :(. I just want them to end the trilogy before it gets too out of hand. That song is lovely though, the one you linked.

Anyway, the general idea of this thread is just to share some music that people might not have heard before, I'm sure we all have varying tastes in music but if you're only into electronica theres always a good chance that someone might come out with an orchestral score that you love, it's all about opening opportunities for others. So yeah, feel free to post a favoured song of yours or even just join in whatever craic is happening. I'll try to vary the songs I post but I'm not a fan of most modern pop/rap/dance so I wouldn't hold my breath expecting one of those songs 8D
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Re: Cordea's daily song thread (and other off topic stuff!)

Post by Rommeltje »

Ah shit. -_-

I wanted to merge the posts from the other thread with this one, but there was a forum error after I split them away from there, and now they seem to have fallen through the cracks. >:( Sorry, Cordea, our conversation is gone. Hopefully you'll still remember roughly what you had put in there and can repeat what you want to keep.

My apologies. It's this cheap forum software we're running on. We'd need a lot of cash to get something better. :down:

*edit: Never mind, I found it again! :D Phew, that was a close one. :rolleyes: :p
Cordea
Regular poster

Re: Cordea's daily song thread (and other off topic stuff!)

Post by Cordea »

Today's song is a bit lighter than yesterday's metal, it is courtesy of a very talented singer/musician based in L.A. (from Seattle) named Jimmy Wong. It's just one of those songs that speaks to the heart I find, the lyrics are simple but touching. The song is called From On High. Pity the girl in the video (actress named Meghan Camarena doesn't feel the need to wear a pair, seems kinda cold ;)

He has more than a few songs on his youtube channel that are worth checking out, 3 or 4 are really worth it if you are a gamer.

If you hadn't been able to save the conversation it wouldn't have mattered, could've easily been replaced romme. Now we just need to get people posting! Part of the reason for doing a song of the day is to generate some talk for various bands/artists, especially smaller ones like Jimmy Wong. Am behind on my reading, need to finish the Serpent War Saga, start the Demon War Saga, start A Song of Ice and Fire, start the Blood of Elves Saga...Need more time in the day please. Anyone read any of those and care to share your thoughts?

Mmmm, already thinking of what tomorrow will be...perhaps another youtube based artist ;)

Return to “Talk Forum”