Cordea's daily song thread (and other off topic stuff!)

Talk about anything that's not gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Cordea
Regular poster

Re: Cordea's daily song thread (and other off topic stuff!)

Post by Cordea »

Today's tune is courtesy of a band from Gibraltar called Breed 77. The video comes from a promotional acoustic set that they did for Sennheiser and the song is called El Mundo En Llamas. The song is indeed in spanish but if you want to hear the english lyrics you can look up the english version which is called World On Fire. Anyway. enjoy the song, check out their cover of Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast which was performed at the same set and go buy their albums, it's all good stuff, never heard one of their songs that I didn't like whether it was in english or spanish.

Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

Grand Magus! Yes, certainly know them. Now you're talking my stuff :D
Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

Been listening to them ever since a friend gave me a loan of his copy of Iron Will. Great band.

So, I posted a song by At The Drive In a few days ago, now I'm posting a song by the band that the singer and bassist are currently in. The band is called The Mars Volta (they're excellent) and the song is called L'via L'viaquez. Just a couple of points, The Mars Volta make a point of telling a story over the course of the entire album so listening to a single song can be a bit confusing as it is out of context, the album that this song is on is called Frances The Mute (made in 2005) if you want to hear the full thing. Secondly this wasn't my first choice of a song. The one I wanted to post was off of their 2009 album, Octahedron and the song was called Teflon but I couldn't find any studio versions on youtube. The only videos that were up were bad quality live videos and bad drum covers. Lastly, this isn't the full song by any means. The full version actually goes on for 12 minutes 22 seconds but the only video on youtube was the radio edit. So anyway, enjoy!

Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

Today's song is courtesy of a french metal band called Gojira who are very eco-friendly and like to write songs about animals, the world and the environment. Oh and unicorns. This song is off an album called From Mars To Sirius and the song is called Backbone. Enjoy the song and even if you aren't a fan of metal, headbang as if you are! 8D 8D 8D 8D

Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

Something a bit softer today, I'll keep it short and sweet. The artist is named Joshua Radin and the song is called Winter. Beautiful stuff.

Ninja edit for two reasons. Firstly, the url for the video has BeOwl in it, odd, it's like when a captcha actually asks you to type in captcha. Secondly, this is my 69th post. I'm going to be a dirty little man (I'm 5ft 6in. I'm pocketsized! Keep in mind, height is no indication of anything except your ability to reach the top shelf ;) ) and point it out. So yeah, thats that done.
Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

Been listening to a LOT of video game soundtracks lately so my next few songs will probably be sourced from there, don't worry. If you went to a friend's house and he/she randomly played one of these songs without telling you where it was from you would have no idea. All of them are good songs in their own merit and the composers deserve recognition for their work!

If you're in any doubt of how VG music can be any good here's a few good examples. If you like metal/rock try the early Ace Combat games. If you're into techno/dance/house/electronica try Ace Combat 3/Portal 2/Frozen Synapse. If you like Jazz try Phoenix Wright or L.A. Noire (I can provide a link to the LA one if anyone wants it.) If you like orchestral songs you could try The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind or Ace Combat 4. Another good one to get would be the Final Fantasy Piano Collections (particularly FFVII and FFX). If needed I can help source most of those soundtracks, I have most of them anyway.

So today we have a bit of metal courtesy of Frank Klepacki, the song is called Hell March and it is from a game called Command & Conquer: Red Alert. Enjoy!

Edit: It would probably be handy if I added the video to the post -_-
Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

Apologies for the lack of a post over the last couple of days, I was in hospital having knee surgery and needless to say, it isn't the most private of all places. So by my count this post needs to contain 4 songs, all of which will be VGM as my last post mentioned. Don't let that put you off, they are all great songs, regardless of where they come from. This first song is from Final Fantasy VII, it was composed by Nobuo Uematsu and it is the piano cover of Tifa's Theme.

This second song is by a man named Jonathon Coulton, it was featured in the soundtrack for the first Portal game and it is called Still Alive (the vocals on the ingame version were recorded by Ellen Mclain who voiced one of the main characters). The second link is to a version that features the recorded music but with his vocals, worth a listen.

The third song is also from the Final Fantasy series, this time it is from Final Fantasy X. It was composed once again by Nobuo Uematsu, it is the orchestral version included in both Japanese and English game releases and the vocals are sung by a Japanese folk singer named Ritsuki Nakano (a.k.a NIKKI). The song is called Suteki Da Ne (translates to Isn't It Wonderful). It truly is one of the most moving pieces of music that I have ever heard. I would be genuinely surprised to find someone that didn't feel any emotion while listening to it. The piano version is also quite excellent. Anyway here is the video.

Couldn't decide between two songs for the last video so I'll just put them both up. The first is from Chrono Cross, it was composed by Yasunori Mitsuda and it is called Dream Of The Shore Near Another World. The second is from the Legend Of Zelda series, it was composed by Koji Kondo and it is called Zelda's Lullaby. Enjoy!

Jake

Post by Jake »

Are you in fact my best friend Chandler?
All these things you've posted are things he has on his iPod...
The Zelda, the Final Fantasy. If you have Metal Gear Solid IV 's soundtrack I'll be very amused, now!
Cordea
Regular poster

Post by Cordea »

I do indeed have that as well as the earlier soundtracks but fortunately no, my name is not Chandler. No disrespect intended but I never knew that people actually gave their children Chandler as a first name. I knew it was a common enough surname but...wow...

Moving onwards, I feel this needs a bit of an explanation. When I was 12 I was hit by a car, drunk driver went onto the footpath and hit me. I wasn't too badly hurt and recovered pretty well. Fast forward to age 14, some idiot was speeding, turns the corner and BAM, hits me on the same side that I was hit two years earlier. Somehow the damage from both accidents added up and my right knee is permanently damaged. I can walk, run, skip, hop, dance (well I can't really dance but that is a lack of skill more than a disability) but my leg will sometimes hurt and will often enough just give from under me. It's like when you've been sitting cross legged for a long time and your leg is dead, when you try to walk on it you don't realise what kind of weight you're putting down and suddenly your leg will bend too much and you lose balance. I have that, minus the dead leg. I won't feel the leg weaken, I'll just fall. I've ended up down the bottom of the stairs more times than I can count because of this. So this is where ukemi comes in. Ukemi is a technique taught in various martial arts such as Bujinkan, Jiu Jutsu, Aikido, Hapkido and Judo, among others. The basic idea is to break your fall by controlling your body in mid air to try and roll out of it, specifically rolling diagonally across your spine, throwing your right shoulder foward and tucking it under you. It's really cool when you're walking down the street, trip over the footpath or something and you just fall foward and roll to your feet. Makes you feel like a badass ninja.

So, ukemi is something I use pretty regularly to take the strain off my leg. Well, yesterday evening I fell and out of pure instinct and habit I went through the normal motions but with one small difference. I managed to pop the stitches in my knee and that kind of injury merits a hospital trip. Spent a couple of hours in the emergency room, got home around and because of the painkillers they gave me all I wanted was sleep. So I couldn't post last night.

Did you need to know all that? Probably not but I haven't lied to you before so now wouldn't be a good time to start and ambiguous answers like "I had an accident" would just annoy me to no end so the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth! So on to the videos.

The first song is the last VG song you'll see in a while, was listening to the album yesterday and I just couldn't resist posting it, I had to do it. It's from a game called Phoenix Wright and the song is called Swinging The Tiger.

The second song is a return to various bands/artists etc that don't appear in digital format! The band is called Blind Guardian and they are a german metal band that like to refer to themselves as mere travelling bards, hence the name of this song. It is a little bit different to their normal stuff but it really shows off the singer's voice and how the guitarist's can make something that is so simple seem so complex and beautiful. It is called The Bard's Song.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Oh I was surprised when we first met as well but I do know THREE people in this city called Chandler :P

Return to “Talk Forum”