Nail-biting Remedy

Post your fictional stories about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Someguy
VIP

Nail-biting Remedy

Post by Someguy »

Jessica bit her nails again.

She had been waiting in line to audition for an off-Broadway play since 5 in the morning. It was a hot Thursday morning near the end of summer. Jessica didn’t have a class until night-time, giving her one day to audition for her dream as an actress. Her short shorts, tank-top and flip-flops probably wouldn’t get her into character for a play set in the 1940s. However, Jessica carried her bag with her, filled with a change of clothes, hair products, etc. The 19 year old college student should have been a lock-in for the part. She was stunningly beautiful: long black hair, blue eyes, a statuesque figure. She was thin, yet not without some muscle on her bones. She looked like an innocent school-girl with a wild hunger to be satisfied. Still, she was quite nervous. The sign up desk appeared closer and closer as her teeth continued to chew her nails.

“Ow!”

A few of the girls in line looked her way but didn’t say anything. Jessica now looked at her index finger. It was bleeding! In fact, all her fingers looked like they belonged to a troll or something. She freaked out and immediately left the line. She ran all the way back to her dorm room in tears. There was no way she could audition today, not with these ugly hands.

Truly was on the computer when Jessica ran inside the room. She could tell something was wrong with her roommate as she ran into the bathroom.

“Jess?” Truly got up from her computer. She was a brunette, not particularly beautiful, but cute in her own right. She wore glasses, which gave off a computer nerd kind of vibe. “What’s wrong?” She came to the bathroom door.

“I have ugly hands!” Jessica screamed. She was crying heavily.

Truly was a supportive friend, but she couldn’t coddle her roommate again, “Jess, what do you expect? You bite your nails like they were candy.”

“Well what am I supposed to do Truly?” Jessica’s voice was becoming more irritated, “I can’t go audition with my fingers bleeding! They look at everything, you know!”

“Look,” Truly tried to calm her down, “Why don’t we go a doctor, he might be able to help you with your problem.”

“Truly,” Jessica whined, “You know my insurance sucks!”

“Well I know a guy not too far from here. He’s practically in love with me, I can probably get him to see you for a reasonable price. We’ll see him before your class.”

About ten seconds ran by before Jessica finally came out of the bathroom wiping her eyes with the towel. She had also been wiping her fingers on some toilet paper.

“I’ve tried before, I can’t stop.”

“Let me call him up,” Truly said as she grabbed her phone.

-----------------------------------------------------

The two girls were now in one of the examination rooms of Dr. Bennett’s office. Jessica never liked going to the doctor’s office. Something about a doctor pulling on a glove gave her the willies. Truly was talking about God-knows what. Jessica began to bite her nails again.

“Stop that,” Truly demanded smacking her hand.

Finally, the doctor came in.

“Hey Truly,” he said.

“Hi!” Truly gave him a hug. It looked like the two of them were in love or something.

“What’s going on?” Doctor Bennett let go of her.

“It’s my friend Jessica,” Truly pointed to her, “She’s got a nail-biting problem.”

Jessica looked to the ground in embarrassment.

“Hmmm,” Bennett moved closer to her. “Let’s see your hands.”

The black-haired girl reluctantly showed her hands to the doctor. He immediately reacted.

“Wow,” He said, “This isn’t good. How long have you been biting your nails?”

“As long as I can remember,” the patient responded.

“How often?”

“She bites them all the time,” Truly interrupted, “I mean she even bites them in her sleep.”

“Have you tried to stop before?” The doctor looked her in the eye. He seemed friendly enough.

“I have,” Jessica answered, “I can’t control it. Sometimes I don’t even know I’m biting them. It’s a habit I can’t break. And I want to audition for some plays, but I can’t with my hands looking like something out of The Hobbit.”

“Right,” He nodded his head, “When’s your next audition?”

“I think there’s one next week,” Jessica answered.

The doctor went over to his computer and punched in some data. “Okay, there’s two things you need to do, because you have a pretty severe problem with this. First off, I’m going to prescribe a cream that will help bring vitamins back into your nails so they can grow.”

Well that sounds okay, Jessica thought to herself. But what could she do to stop biting her fingers?

“The second thing I’m gonna suggest you do,” the doctor suggested continuing to type in his computer, “Is wear gloves.”

Jessica was taken aback by this. Even Truly’s eyebrow was raised a little. “Gloves?” Jessica spat out, “You mean when I’m sleeping?”

“No,” The doctor looked at her, “All day and all night.” He pulled a couple of latex gloves from one of the boxes. This sounded worse than the nail-biting. She would have to wear gloves all the time? “And if you use the cream, you’ll have to wear rubber gloves over your fingers.”

“Wait a minute,” Jessica stood up, “Are you meaning to tell me I have to walk around all day wearing a pair of latex gloves on my hands?”

“Well you’ll need a barrier to consciously stop you from biting your nails. Plus the cream will rub off during your daily routine if you’re not wearing gloves. Your nail biting is too severe for you not to wear gloves.”

This was not what Jessica wanted at all. She looked over to Truly and back at the doctor, “Can’t you just hypnotize me to stop biting my nails?”

The doctor chuckled slightly, “No sorry, it doesn’t work like that.” He gave her a pair of small latex gloves, “You can wear these home, but when you pick up the cream, I’d suggest getting a pair of rubber dishwashing gloves to protect your hands.”

“Doc,” Truly finally spoke up, “I don’t think Jess can walk around all day wearing rubber gloves. Aside from it looking crazy, it’s still summer.”

“It’s going to be difficult,” The doctor said, “But if she can stick with it, she’ll have beautiful looking nails within a week. And you can always wear another pair of gloves over the rubber ones.”

“I don’t even own a pair of gloves,” Jessica said as she looked at these latex ones, “I’ve never worn gloves.”

“It probably would have helped you to wear gloves when you were younger,” The doctor said. “Now listen, here’s what you do. You put the cream on twice a day, once in the morning, again before you go to bed. Then you put on your rubber gloves immediately. You have to keep them on all day to avoid biting your nails again. You can put any other pairs over the rubber gloves to give you a better fashion statement.”

Jessica sighed. This wasn’t what she wanted at all.

“Jess,” Truly said, “If you want to save your fingers, this is the way to do it.”

She reluctantly pulled on the latex gloves. They didn’t feel so bad, but the thought of being seen wearing latex gloves in public made her shiver. Jessica looked at her white hands. She hated them. “They feel weird!”

“You get used to them,” the doc said, “I wear them all day.” He handed her the prescription. Jessica picked it up with her latex hands. If felt so awkward.

-----------------------------------------------------

“People are staring at me,” Jessica whined as she walked down the street with Truly. People may have been looking strangely at Jessica’s latex gloves. They probably assumed she was a germaphobe. She was getting nervous.

They made their way to the pharmacy. Truly gave the prescription to the pharmacist. “May I have your insurance card?” She asked. Truly looked to the black-haired girl who reached in her bag for her insurance card. It was very difficult because she couldn’t feel anything in the bag. The latex was rubbing against the inside of the bag making it more difficult. She sighed and stared at the ceiling. Eventually she got a hold of it and handed the card to the pharmacist. She looked at the latex-covered girl strangely before she took the card and proceeded to work, “Should be ready in a few minutes.”

“Okay,” Truly grabbed Jessica’s hand, “Let’s go find you some gloves.”

“Please,” Jessica replied as they walked away, “Anything but these. These gloves are so uncomfortable!”

Truly found an aisle full of dishwashing gloves. “Any of these should work.”

Jessica looked at the rubber gloves. Yellow and pink were her choices. But unlike her latex gloves, these rubber ones were longer and looked even more uncomfortable. The pink gloves didn’t seem as bad. Unfortunately, they only had them in large. The small sizes were all yellow.

“Well,” Truly said, “You hear what the doc said, you gotta wear rubber gloves.”

“I’ve got class in a couple hours. Am I gonna have to go to class wearing rubber gloves?” Jessica whined.

“If you want your nails to grow out, you’re gonna have to.”

Jessica understood she needed to wear the gloves. She purchased three pairs at Truly’s suggestion. Afterwards she immediately took a pair out of the bag. Truly decided to buy a pair herself, but she wouldn’t put them on. Jessica happily took off the latex gloves. But she wasn’t too happy because she would now have to slip on the rubber gloves. As she put on the first rubber covering, it did not feel as bad as she thought it would. The glove fit snuggly. However, the material was still encasing. Her hands would be sweaty very soon in this weather. The second glove came on. There she was sitting in the pharmacy with a tank-top, short shorts and yellow rubber gloves. She held them up for Truly to see: “How do they look?”

Truly looked at the gloves like they were aliens. She tried to be supportive smiling, “They look interesting.”

Jessica hid her hands between her thighs and frowned.

“Jessica?” The pharmacist called her name. The black-haired girl got up and picked up her prescription. She reached into her purse again. The rubber gloves made it even more difficult to feel anything in there. Eventually she pulled out some cash and handed it to the woman. The pharmacist was even more surprised by her rubber dishwashing gloves. But said nothing.

She had her gloves and her cream as she walked out the door. The minute Jessica stepped out, all eyes on the street focused on her. Why was this woman wearing rubber gloves in the summer street?

“This is awful,” Jessica said to her friend. Truly held onto her gloved hand, feeling the rough texture against her own skin.

“Just ignore it Jess,” Truly tried to stay optimistic.

As they walked back, Jessica instinctively brought her hand to her teeth. She was about to bite her nails until she felt the taste of rubber on her fingers. She stopped, realizing she was about to bite her nails. The rubber gloves had stopped her. Perhaps this would work after all.

To be continued…
glvluv
Regular poster

Re: Nail-biting Remedy

Post by glvluv »

Thanks for the good work - this is a great and novel idea for a story line. Looking forward to more.
JaneyE
WWGFA Orderly

Post by JaneyE »

Thank you! I'm liking this story very much! First I was a bit sceptical as dish-washing gloves are not my favourite type, but I love the way the story is developing. Please give as more!
mrs uni
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by mrs uni »

Loving it! More, more!
Kelliejayne
Occasional poster

Post by Kelliejayne »

Great story can you write more?
GloveLover1