Supermarkets

Post your real life glove stories here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

mrs uni
Rommeltje's Deputy

Re: Supermarkets

Post by mrs uni »

wmowrg wrote:
JaneyE wrote: .... I'm talking about the 80's. Back then, fancy latex or nitrile gloves were rare, so they used to wear "normal" household rubber gloves. I remember standing there and staring at them for "hours"; or at least until my dad moved on to the next stall, and I had to follow him.

Me too Janey, being a child of the 70s & 80s, I well remember ladies at markets and the local greengrocer shops ALWAYS wearing marigolds to weigh out the potatoes and other vegetables .... I suspect Mrs Uni will remember similar too ... :hmm:

... and fishmongers too ... none of this fancy, flimsy stuff worn today, a nice pair of proper household gloves .... <3

P.S. ... Now that I think about it, I can remember a couple of "characters" in TV programmes of the time who played that type of assistant to perfection .... If you get the chance to see "May to December", Kate Williams & Chrissie Cotterill play Lesley Dunlop's mother & sister in the series. They work at a greengrocers and are found in marigolds a few times ... (plus Lesley Dunlop herself wears them a couple of times during the series !)

.... and I'm almost certain that a young Elisabeth Sladen ( :luv: ) appears in an episode of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em as a similar character and is wearing rubber gloves in that too .... :scratch:

I certainly do remember women wearing rubber gloves in greengrocers back in the '70's and '80's, though Wmowrg it was your pet hate I'm afraid, the single rubber glove! I don't remember seeing many if any wearing both gloves presumably, they thought they could still use the till they just wore one glove. Used to drive me nuts as I'd see them getting their naked hand dirty the whole time and using the till with the rubber gloved hand >:(( WEAR BOTH OR NONE >:(( >:(( Obviously I had to watch even though that single gloved thing was torture >:((

See it all the time in cafes; one of those flimsy blue things for 'food handling' that they wear while passing you your change from the till. Which completely defeats the object of wearing them. Soooo annoying!

At least fishmongers did the right thing with the big thick blue gloves. And they were all over telly back in the day, fewer dishwashers= more women wearing rubber gloves. Ah, the 70's and 80's were the glory days of mass rubber glove wearing :luv:
CharlieCC

Post by CharlieCC »

Feel you on the one glove frustration! I remember plates being rinsed after handing them over at school and one of the dinnerladies wearing a single pink or yellow rubber glove. Frustrating in the latter case because she was young and attractive - but fortunately pairs of which were frequently worn in other instances :)
wmowrg
MIA

Post by wmowrg »

mrs uni wrote: >:(( WEAR BOTH OR NONE >:(( >:((
I think we could turn that into a rather good catchphrase ... :lmao:

mrs uni wrote: And they were all over telly back in the day, fewer dishwashers= more women wearing rubber gloves. Ah, the 70's and 80's were the glory days of mass rubber glove wearing :luv:
Please ... don't get me all nostalgic again ... We BOTH know only too well where THAT leads ... :hmm: :tongue:
dopefish

Post by dopefish »

JaneyE wrote:This reminds me of something that happened when I was a kid — 10-ish.

I grew up in a South American country, and my dad is a big fan of buying groceries at farmers' markets instead of supermarkets. Now, if you are European or from the US, the following may come to your mind when you read the term "farmers' markets":

I had to stop going to farmer's markets as the watermarks everywhere gave me a headache ;)

Return to “Experiences”