A lovely trip to Florence

Post your real life glove stories here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Meganekko
Occasional poster

A lovely trip to Florence

Post by Meganekko »

Hi there,
I know I've shared a couple of experiences before but I've recently been reminiscing of a trip to Florence I took with my family around 3 years ago.

The trip itself was wonderful and the hotel we stayed in was utterly beautiful (somewhere I could only dream of affording to stay in now). As many of you here are highly aware, a beautiful hotel clearly takes a lot of housekeeping and I was incredibly lucky that not only were the uniforms there beautiful, but one particular lady who worked there was my type.

When I say beautiful uniforms, I mean it. Knee length dress with a 50s Peter pan style collar (although pointed instead of rounded) and either in mint green or brown (a warm brown, not an unappealing shade in the slightest) and the part that caught my attention, a waist apron. White, pointed at the bottom like the collar and with a black trim. (As a costume maker I have an eye for detail, especially when it comes to gloves and aprons)

My luck didn't end there. I've seen a couple of other people here comment on how they always end up analysing the cleaning cart looking for gloves - I myself am no stranger to doing the same and was excited when I saw a pair of fairly standard yellow household gloves on one cart on the ground floor as I was leaving the hotel. Unfortunately though, I saw no one wearing them.

That fact, however, changed as I returned to the hotel that afternoon to drop a bag off and returned to my room. The door was open and the lady who I commented on earlier being my type (young, fairly slim, long dark hair, glasses) quickly came out of the bathroom to apologise (I can't remember much of what she said as I barely speak any Italian and it was a long time ago).

Of course, my eye was drawn to her gloved hands and to my surprise she was wearing a longer blue pair of gloves (similar to the marigold bathroom gloves, they may well have been but I'm not sure if they're sold in Italy)
Even a couple of years later the image is very distinctive in my mind, the gloves were slightly wet and fit her extremely well - I think you can imagine all the things going on in my head at that moment. I do feel a little bad though! At least she'll never know what that odd teenage girl was thinking haha.

I simply left the bag by my bed and went out again but to say that sight made my day would be an understatement. A big part of me wishes I could remember which hotel it was (and I really wish I had an excuse to wear such a cute uniform and household gloves frequently like that!)
meistrllapgoch
Regular poster

Re: A lovely trip to Florence

Post by meistrllapgoch »

Thank you for sharing that experience Meganekko.
It sounds fabulous. That cleaner clearly left an impression on you. Did you manage to borrow her gloves at all?
My partner and I are quite fond of borrowing gloves to clean up and play with, then putting them back.
We are going to stay in Northern Italy in two days’ times. We have an Airbnb and will be doing a bit of glove shopping.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Re: A lovely trip to Florence

Post by Rommeltje »

Meganekko wrote:(and I really wish I had an excuse to wear such a cute uniform and household gloves frequently like that!)
Who needs an excuse? :D

Actually, I do. :hmm: To investigate fancy hotels in Florence. :mrgreen:

Return to “Experiences”