Uploaded picture thumnails

Get help from our tech-savvy crew: learn how to make previews, where to upload, how to edit vids, etc.

Moderator: Jake

APC
WWGFA donor

Uploaded picture thumnails

Post by APC »

Hey all,

Sorry if this has already been asked but i can't find a topic on it.

The first time i uploaded photos it automatically added thumnails of them to my post, however the 2nd time i tried all i could see was a little windows icon instead that links to pic. Is there a way i can get the thumnails to show on the post next time i upload?

Thanks.
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Re: Uploaded picture thumnails

Post by SexySurgical »

Were the times 1st and 2nd times on different days?

Anyway, preferably use ImageBam.com for forum bandwidth considerations. Simply copy-paste the BB-code.
APC
WWGFA donor

Post by APC »

SexySurgical wrote:Were the times 1st and 2nd times on different days?
Yes they were different days, on the same thread here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=18217

Im thinking the problem was something to do with the image size as the first ones were taken on my iphone & the other 3 were with my di-res cannon camera, i thought i had re-sized those ones enough for it to work tho.
Anyway, preferably use ImageBam.com for forum bandwidth considerations. Simply copy-paste the BB-code.
I've never used imagebam b4 so ur pretty much saying just upload it to there and link it to the forum? How would that work with regard to privacy? not that im overly concerned but i was trying to limit the chance these images go viral on the net thats why i was uploading them to the premium area on the forum directly.
wmowrg
MIA

Post by wmowrg »

APC wrote:I've never used imagebam b4 so ur pretty much saying just upload it to there and link it to the forum? How would that work with regard to privacy? not that im overly concerned but i was trying to limit the chance these images go viral on the net thats why i was uploading them to the premium area on the forum directly.
Imagebam isn't actually as "searchable" as you'd think, so the chances of someone discovering your posted images is fairly minimal.

What it will give you is consistent image size and display and like SS says, not take up forum bandwidth.

You're doing the right thing if you want to be ultra-secure by uploading directly to the forum, but all that's actually doing is limiting the potential "culprits" for flagrant reposting to premium members ...
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

I'm not exactly sure about the mechanics of the thumbnail generation for pictures uploaded to the forum, actually. It might be to do with size. But that would mean it actually works the other way around, because the pictures that get the thumbnails in your thread are in fact much bigger than the ones that don't.

Imagebam is indeed preferred for user friendliness, and especially for pictures with a large file size (anything over 1MB), but if you're worried about security, there's no problem with uploading them directly to the forum.

It's true that Imagebam photos aren't easily found without a url, but there is a risk that if you make a gallery, and one photo gets leaked, the entire gallery is compromised, because you can just click on "next picture", or "show gallery".
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by SexySurgical »

Figured it was the Place Inline button, but as seen below, that ain't it either.
2641444970 (1).jpg
I believe it was an option now switched off in the Admin Control Panel?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
APC
WWGFA donor

Post by APC »

Rommeltje wrote:I'm not exactly sure about the mechanics of the thumbnail generation for pictures uploaded to the forum, actually. It might be to do with size. But that would mean it actually works the other way around, because the pictures that get the thumbnails in your thread are in fact much bigger than the ones that don't.
Oh wow yes, there is a massive difference with the 2nd set I had re-sized myself there, interesting.

Well, I'll just keep an eye out to see if you guys work it out, as SexyS said it may have been an admin setting or something? I haven't taken the new shots that I was planning on uploading yet anyway. If it turns out to be too tricky i may just go ahead and use imagebam anyway. If I do upload directly again, i'll make sure they are re-sized to keep them under 1MB.

Thanks for the help so far :8up:
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Imagebam is dead! New preferred picturehost is Imgur!

Imagebam is back! It's our preferred imagehost again. But you can still use Imgur if you want.

Return to “Technical Tutorials”