Article on leather gloves in Dutch newspaper [translated]

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Rommeltje
The man in charge

Article on leather gloves in Dutch newspaper [translated]

Post by Rommeltje »

This was in the weekend edition of the Dutch newspaper de Volkskrant today. [English translation below the pictures]

Here's the best of those four pictures at the bottom in a bigger format (I'd vote for the one with the boots as the best picture, but the gloves in that one aren't actually that nice):

Rough translation:

Pick up that glove
By Stefanie B.

Gloves are the pepernoten [a Dutch seasonal treat traditionally only eaten in late November/early December ~R.] of the fashion world. Whoever dares to bring them out before October (and actually November), risks ridiculisation and sometimes even indignation. Because then you are messing with one of our national traits, that of being resistant to weather and wind. A little cold won't kill you, after all. It's matter of national pride.

As an enthusiastic glove-wearer myself, I'm on the other hand constantly buckling for the weather. Because regardless of the month or the season, if the temperature drops below 15 degrees, I put them on (and yes, I mean 15 degrees Celsius) "But this way they won't do you any good anymore once it gets really cold", I get told ever so often - outwardly concerned, but actually just condescending - when I show up on a cold summer day in July or August sporting my little hand warmers.

Obviously I'm not going to be facing actual coldness of arctic proportions in my summer gloves, though! Have these people never heard of a glove wardrobe? The world of gloves offers an enormous versatility and it would be a shame to restrict them only to the pepernoten-season. There are gloves for any weather type, and when the temperature is between 10 and 15 degrees, you can finally put those elegant, unlined leather ones into action, the pretty things that won't do you any good when it gets really cold.

For medium cold, between 0 and 10 degrees, you've got leather gloves lined with cashmere. In many different colors, because why would you spoil your feet with socks in all kinds of varieties, but only allow your hands just the one pair? If it's officially "really cold", with temperatures below the freezing point, it becomes problematic, because then you have to give up the elegance. Those who want to keep their hands in somewhat of a comfortable state are forced to turn to sporty models made of ugly materials like nylon and fleece. Suede mittens or gloves lined with sheep fur might feel somewhat luxurious, but they turn your hands into coal shovels.

The period before the real winter starts and hence the time you can enjoy the most beautiful gloves from your collection is now. Grab that moment!
AngelSlayer
Regular poster

Re: Article on leather gloves in Dutch newspaper [translated

Post by AngelSlayer »

Thank you very much for the translation Rommeltje , Always good to see articles about leather gloves like this.

I'm a bit surprise that there is no Ines gloves featured in the images section on the right since they're the domestic company.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Re: Article on leather gloves in Dutch newspaper [translated

Post by Rommeltje »

Huh, so they are! I didn't even know that. :D And yeah, weird that they didn't feature any of theirs then.

Return to “Glove talk forum”