UK TV - Random Musings and Conspiracy Theories (Household)

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

wmowrg
MIA

UK TV - Random Musings and Conspiracy Theories (Household)

Post by wmowrg »

I've found myself watching and recording a lot of TV programmes here in England lately, more and more with the anticipation and expectancy of seeing women wearing rubber gloves. There are quite a few programmes over the past few months/years where you would think you'd get at least a good few examples ... Come Dine With Me, Dinner Date, OC Cleaners, some of the House renovation programmes, the junk makeover programmes are just a few. If you live in the UK, you'll know the sort of programmes I mean ... Just recently though, I'm beginning to think there's a bit of a conspiracy about showing women in rubber gloves going on and it appears to be something almost taboo ...

BBC currently have three "comedies" being shown, both in their second or third series, "Mum" and "Two Doors Down" and another in about it's tenth series "Not Going Out". Now I know most of you younger members will say "Who wants to see 50 year old women in rubber gloves anyway ?" ... Well I do, and I'm sure there are quite a few others too, but anyhow, in both of these series, in almost EVERY episode, there are scenes in the respective kitchens of the relevant main households. In all of these episodes, you can plainly see a pair of rubber gloves (Pink in Two Doors Down, yellow in Mum and Not Going Out) draped over the sink, but sadly they are never shown "in use" .... Well I have to ask "Why the hell are they there then ?". Yes, I know it's all about scene setting and reality but come on ... I find myself watching these programmes, almost willing Miss Bretton, Miss Weir and Miss Manville to just put the damn things on ... but no, they just carry on as if they're not even there ...

Another classic is Dinner Date ... after each "date" you normally get a glimpse of the lady clearing the plates away after the date at her place and washing them up. Now, don't get me wrong, there are more than a handful where they actually DO wear their rubbers and you get a brief glimpse of them, but would you believe there are actually some where they have a pair of marigolds right by the sink and they DON'T put them on ... ??? ... Work that out if you can ... :scratch:

What do our other UK based members think ?

I'd be intrigued to find out your thoughts ... or am I just going mad ... :hmm:
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Re: UK TV - Random Musings and Conspiracy Theories (Househol

Post by Rommeltje »

Maybe send in a complaint to the BBC. They might do something about it. :mrgreen:
1Wolf
Regular poster

Post by 1Wolf »

I know what you mean, it has been very limited when it comes to rubber gloves on TV, I found older TV series have some glove content but still don't find much of it today, I do remember kid shows such as: Dani's House, Tracy Beaker, Sarah Jane Adventure, etc.. They sometimes had rubber gloves, but most of the time, they weren't ones we liked that much, like heavy duty ones. I think that maybe they found having woman wearing rubber gloves was stereotyping, I don't think that's the case.

I think the kids show that had the most amount of rubber glove showings in it was; Come Outside, it was freak went to see Auntie Mable wearing rubber gloves, and tight ones at that. Just have a little search on YouTube and you will see what I mean.
Tight rubber, latex and surgical gloves for life
mrs uni
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by mrs uni »

:8up: If it's any consolation there was wall to wall rubber gloves on Eastenders yesterday which I caught quite by accident. Kat Slater (Moon, whatever she is nowadays, I don't watch it any more) was in turquoise rubbers as was Big Mo. Another woman behind the bar was in one turquoise and one yellow rubber glove.

Kat's were tight as well. Just in case you wanted to catch the omnibus edition. Just saying :8up:
wmowrg
MIA

Post by wmowrg »

mrs uni wrote: Just in case you wanted to catch the omnibus edition. Just saying :8up:
Why thank you, kind lady ... It's not really my sort of programme either, but I might take a little look on iPlayer ... :-)

Return to “Glove talk forum”