Vintage gloves

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

sabotta77
Regular poster

Vintage gloves

Post by sabotta77 »

Who thinks that vintage gloves represent much more higher quality than gloves nowadays? What are your favourite vintage glove manufacturers or companies?
AngelSlayer
Regular poster

Re: Vintage gloves

Post by AngelSlayer »

I agree to what you said based on what I heard and see from the internet although I never own any of the vintage gloves yet (unlike many of our friends here in the forum)

But If I am to get them , It should be from popular brands like Roger Fare, Van Raalte , Grandoe or Alexander for example.

dopefish

Post by dopefish »

Do you have vintage gloves and current gloves?
Not having ever seen any vintage gloves in good shape I think current ones might be better due to advances in technology and such.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Ah, another Dutch manufacturer! (Or of Dutch descent at least, looking at the name.) We're pretty good at this. :p
operalove

Post by operalove »

dopefish wrote:Do you have vintage gloves and current gloves?
Not having ever seen any vintage gloves in good shape I think current ones might be better due to advances in technology and such.
Your logic is correct, new gloves should be better but it is actually not the case. I always look for vintage gloves but the problem, women hands were so small I can't find the right size for me. I bought an opera white cotton vintage glove with wrist buttons. Even though it is old, the quality and the details of sewing is much better than any actual satin or cotton glove I have.
It is also the case for leather. I bought a pair size 7.5 but it was actually smaller and didn't fit my hand. But the details and the quality of leather is much better than my actual leather gloves. Ok I dont own a 200$ pair for comparison. But actually, I think leather gets better each time you wear it.
I am no expert in vintage glove manufacturers but I watch classic movies and gloved hands at that time were more tight and beautiful than todays gloves. I am not sure if they were customized. Since gloves were an important part in each outfit, manifacturers and tailors must really take care of each small detail so women could do their daily activities wearing comfortable gloves
dopefish

Post by dopefish »

I'd think movie or tv gloves are likely tailored or even sewn onto the actresses if they look like they have an insane fit. We brought our ines gloves to be tailored twice and they have an amazing fit on my wife. I can't compare to vintage gloves as I don't have those. I will concede that its likely cotton or satin would fit better as I think these are machine made nowadays? I could be wrong.
sabotta77
Regular poster

Post by sabotta77 »

dopefish wrote:I'd think movie or tv gloves are likely tailored or even sewn onto the actresses if they look like they have an insane fit. We brought our ines gloves to be tailored twice and they have an amazing fit on my wife. I can't compare to vintage gloves as I don't have those. I will concede that its likely cotton or satin would fit better as I think these are machine made nowadays? I could be wrong.
What was the material of these Ines gloves?
sabotta77
Regular poster

Post by sabotta77 »

dopefish wrote:Do you have vintage gloves and current gloves?
I have both, and the 90% of my vintage gloves are like brand new (also have some sewn together)
dopefish

Post by dopefish »

sabotta77 wrote:
dopefish wrote:I'd think movie or tv gloves are likely tailored or even sewn onto the actresses if they look like they have an insane fit. We brought our ines gloves to be tailored twice and they have an amazing fit on my wife. I can't compare to vintage gloves as I don't have those. I will concede that its likely cotton or satin would fit better as I think these are machine made nowadays? I could be wrong.
What was the material of these Ines gloves?
According to them:
Glacé gloves made of soft and thin lamb leather.
https://www.inesgloves.com/collections/ ... 3101343492

Return to “Glove talk forum”