Incorporating gloves into photoshoots

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Meganekko
Occasional poster

Incorporating gloves into photoshoots

Post by Meganekko »

So, recently I've started taking modelling a little more seriously and I've managed to slip gloves into lots of my fashion shoots - my first included a stylish red leather pair, one with a cute dress allowed me to wear a black lacy pair and I've manged to wear some satin ones too.

A lot of the photographers I've worked with often compliment my gloves and say that they're an accessory that many models skip over but I've been looking for some more ideas on how to slip gloves into my shoots without people noticing I have a fetish.

The dream is to be able to do some shoots wearing household gloves, I'm starting to try some pinup styles so I might be able to work them in there but does anyone have any suggestions on styles they could suit or how I could suggest this to photographers without seeming a bit weird? My absolute dream is to do a collection of different outfits matching different colours of household gloves, including the classic yellow, lilac, pink, blue (slightly longer length) and red (extra long) but I don't think that will ever happen

Any ideas on styles or shoot ideas including gloves are more than welcome! I wanted a few more ideas and what better place to come to than here.
fowat
Occasional poster

Re: Incorporating gloves into photoshoots

Post by fowat »

Some photographers might do that for you.

This one has a lot of gloves in her pictures - in an arty, weird way : http://noortjepalmers.be/about/
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

fowat wrote:This one has a lot of gloves in her pictures - in an arty, weird way : http://noortjepalmers.be/about/
Whut? O_o How is this the first time I've heard of her?
Meganekko wrote:The dream is to be able to do some shoots wearing household gloves, I'm starting to try some pinup styles so I might be able to work them in there but does anyone have any suggestions on styles they could suit or how I could suggest this to photographers without seeming a bit weird? My absolute dream is to do a collection of different outfits matching different colours of household gloves, including the classic yellow, lilac, pink, blue (slightly longer length) and red (extra long) but I don't think that will ever happen
That would be a dream! <3

I guess it depends on what kind of modelling we're talking about. Is it for stock photography? For famous fashion magazines? For Instagram? Is fashion the main focus? How sexy can it be?

If it's mainly about the gloves and it doesn't have to be an entire matching outfit (except for the colours), and you have a photographer with a social criticism streak, you could try and float the idea of household gloves as a symbol for the traditional role of women in society, juxtaposed with an outfit that's typical for modern women.

And your colour idea might actually help inspire certain photographers as well, if you make it specifically about the colours rather than the gloves. Just suggest a series of photos where each is comprised of as many things of the same colour at once - that's just a fun idea in and of itself. And then you can mention household gloves as an inspired idea, because household gloves come in a variety of bright - and solid - colours. :D
wmowrg
MIA

Post by wmowrg »

The classic one for household gloves would be a 1940s or 1950s housewife style ... patterned dress, apron and topped off with a nicely fitting pair of Marigolds ...

Try a google image search for the sort of thing I mean .....
Meganekko
Occasional poster

Post by Meganekko »

@fowat I love her work! Her use of colour could really inspire this idea further

@Rommeltje I generally do fashion focussed shoots but also do pinup style stuff (linking to @wmowrg's comment, I've seen plenty of shoots done in that style, I absolutely love them and I've added a fair few images like that to my shoot ideas Pinterest but not too many so still keeping it subtle!)

A few photographers I've worked with do plenty of sexy shoots but I personally have never even done lingerie though if I'm honest I'd be much more willing to do a sexier shoot involving gloves. If it happens it's more likely to be cheeky and flirty than 100% sexy. Whilst this idea is indulging my own tastes I'd still keep it professional above all else, just who says you can't have a little fun with it?

The idea of slipping gloves in by mentioning the bold colours is BRILLIANT. I will have to try that! Maybe one day my dream photo set could become a reality, plus now you mentioned mixing it in with aprons I am so tempted to use this idea to show off my adorable vintage apron collection too!
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Do you know that picture of Lucy Pinder cleaning the oven (this one)? Would something like that fall within the "keeping it professional"-boundaries? I'm not actually sure what that picture is trying to convey. :D But perhaps it'll give you some more inspiration as well. :)

One of my favorite ever household glove pictures is actually of a lingerie model in lavender coloured gloves and matching lingerie. It used to be on our (now defunct) Tumblr, and I can't find it quickly anymore, but if I come across it again, I'll show it to you. I think it's a perfect example of what you want to do.

Return to “Glove talk forum”