My Mixed Feelings on Aura Blackquill

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

SimplyRobin
Occasional poster

My Mixed Feelings on Aura Blackquill

Post by SimplyRobin »

So, you've probably read the title and are wondering, "What does this have to with glo-" Hush! I'm getting to that. If you've ever played the Ace Attorney series, more specifically Dual Destinies, then you probably know of a character named Aura Blackquill. Personality wise, she's kind of a bitch, and she does some very questionable and straight up illegal things. I have a mental list of all the nastiest characters who have ever been apart of Ace Attorney, and I almost put her on it, but I ended up changing my mind, because she does have a few redeeming qualities, one of which should be fairly obvious.

However, her wearing gloves isn't the only thing that gives me complicated feelings about her. For example, I'm going to compare her to another glove-wearing character from the same franchise, who I also have mixed feelings about, Franziska von Karma. When I first saw her, I was less concerned about her gloves, and more concerned about her illegally assaulting people with her whip. I didn't really notice her gloves until way later. With Franziska, my mixed feelings come from the way she treats the people around her, whipping them whenever they say or do something she doesn't like. With Aura, it's a very similar case. My mixed feelings come from the way she treats the people around her, being a generally bitter and unapproachable person, though she does take out her violence on a robot. If I have mixed feelings about both of them, than why do I feel differently about Aura than I do about Franziska?

Well, I think the answer lies in Aura's gloves. I recently found this list on gloves and glove related terminology, and it mentions gauntlet-cuffed gloves. These are gloves that I recently figured out that I really liked, and I think they affected me the most as a child. I associate these types of gloves with work, villainy, and most importantly, mad scientists. I recently discovered I have a fetish for mad scientists, and Aura's design definitely gives off mad scientist vibes. While she doesn't act like a stereotypical mad scientist, being more mad as in "angry at the world", I do feel like there are bits and pieces of it in her personality, from the way she says certain things. I usually don't trust people who use the word "human" in place of words like "person" or "people", because it suspiciously makes that person sound like they're not human themself, but when she does it, it just makes sense. Throughout the game, I really wanted to fully hate her for her actions and attitude, but these aspects were preventing me from doing that.

It's also very clear that Aura acts the way she does because she's still hurting from her past trauma. It doesn't excuse her behavior, but it does explain it. Meanwhile, Franziska comes off as a spoiled child who's daddy never taught her that whips weren't fucking toys. Not to mention that Aura, despite being very abrasive and closed-off, does have a warmer side to her. And to be fair, she did do that one illegal spoiler-free thing for a good reason. Also, her robot liked being abused.

I feel like the affect she has on me is a bit difficult to put into words, and I feel like you'll have to play the games in order to really understand what I'm talking about. (No seriously, go play all the Ace Attorney games, they're really good.) She very much feels like a gloved seductress, and I love her for that. And after writing this, maybe she's not as horrible of a person as I thought. I tried not to turn this into a long Ace Attorney ramble, but I've just really wanted to get this off of my chest for awhile. Anyway, that's all for now. Bye.
Blue Cap
Regular poster

Re: My Mixed Feelings on Aura Blackquill

Post by Blue Cap »

Never though I'd see Ace Attorney mentioned on this forum! The last game I played was Ace Attorney Investigations on the DS and haven't played it since. Can't comment on Aura as I never played Dual Destinies but I like her design. Franziska I find kind of annoying though it's probably Manfred Von Karma's fault (he's a pretty good villain imo).
Catania Guanti
Regular poster

Re: My Mixed Feelings on Aura Blackquill

Post by Catania Guanti »

Wow, I didn't think also speaking of Ace Attorney here. Great, great series of game (and hating that spinoff weren't ported in Europe :( ). There are a lot of gloved girls on this series, Franziska being one of those... but I really liked that one frame of Dahlia with gloves, or Trucy in the last game (Spirit of Justice). Apart of those, Ace Attorney is a really nice game, with its art style and music and stories. I advice everyone who didn't play this gem to play it. Lot of reading, not quite your classic adrenalic game. :D
C.G.

Have you tried my Anime Gloves List? Maybe you can help me too!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6826

Return to “Glove talk forum”