What exactly do you call [kid]/[kidskin] gloves? [what are they?]

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Bolmir
Regular poster

What exactly do you call [kid]/[kidskin] gloves? [what are they?]

Post by Bolmir »

I have seen in several subforums, that there is a lot of talk about child gloves, I don't know exactly what you mean by that description, it is probably a matter of language, or of the translator, since I do not think that gloves for children are worth us , I would like to clarify what kind of gloves you refer, thank you very much and best regards
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Re: What exactly do you call child gloves?

Post by Rommeltje »

:???: I haven't seen that anywhere.

I take it you read the forum by letting Google translate it into your own language? And have you been reading this on the leather glove boards by any chance?

If yes and yes: what you've been reading about are kidskin leather gloves. It's the word for a particular kind of leather that's often used for gloves, and that's made from the skin of young goats, which are called 'kids'.
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Re: What exactly do you call child gloves?

Post by SexySurgical »

Better known by the short hand:
Kid gloves

(which our search engine cannot find cuz 3 letters and somehow google doesn't know either...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_gloves
distantglovingalert
Regular poster

Re: What exactly do you call [kid]/[kidskin] gloves? [what are they?]

Post by distantglovingalert »

Most likely it means kid/kidskin gloves, a kind of leather gloves. Perhaps the term just didn't translate well. In my native language, it would also be translated into something like "gloves for child/children".

Like Rommeltje said above, kidskin gloves are made of the skin of young goats. Personally, I love the texture of kidskin gloves; it is somewhat softer and lighter than your typical leather gloves. If you're into leather gloves, you may want to check out kidskin gloves for variety in your collection. I currently have two pairs of them.
Turn it on... Turn it on, turn it on again!
operalove

Post by operalove »

distantglovingalert wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:47 pm Most likely it means kid/kidskin gloves, a kind of leather gloves. Perhaps the term just didn't translate well. In my native language, it would also be translated into something like "gloves for child/children".

Like Rommeltje said above, kidskin gloves are made of the skin of young goats. Personally, I love the texture of kidskin gloves; it is somewhat softer and lighter than your typical leather gloves. If you're into leather gloves, you may want to check out kidskin gloves for variety in your collection. I currently have two pairs of them.
Where did you get your kidskin gloves? When I look I always end up on vintage gloves and when you say vintage you say small size. The biggest size I could find 7.5 which is actually 7 and didn't fit in my hand
(I wear between 7.5 an 8 in modern size)
Bolmir
Regular poster

Post by Bolmir »

well if friends, I read the forum with the google translator since my English is not very good, I guess that of kids gloves refers to that they are made with the skin of young animals, hence my confusion, thanks to all
distantglovingalert
Regular poster

Post by distantglovingalert »

operalove wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:43 pm
distantglovingalert wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:47 pm Most likely it means kid/kidskin gloves, a kind of leather gloves. Perhaps the term just didn't translate well. In my native language, it would also be translated into something like "gloves for child/children".

Where did you get your kidskin gloves? When I look I always end up on vintage gloves and when you say vintage you say small size. The biggest size I could find 7.5 which is actually 7 and didn't fit in my hand
(I wear between 7.5 an 8 in modern size)
You are correct. Most kidskin gloves you'll find for sale online (e.g. ebay) are vintage. My size is 8.5, and I happened to find a pair of kidskin gloves of that size about two years ago. They are vintage (if you can count late 70s/early 80s vintage) but they are new old stock, still in their packaging. After that, I never found a pair that fits me anymore. My other pair is size 7.5, which does not fit me but I bought anyway because I love the color (neon blue, also from the 80s according to the seller). My wife wears these occasionally for driving or for colder fall/spring nights because they fit her hands better.
Turn it on... Turn it on, turn it on again!
operalove

Post by operalove »

You are lucky to find these and also lucky to have a wife that wears such lovely gloves. I have 2 pairs with size 7.5 but don't fit my hands. They are vintage probably from 60s but still in good shape so I am keeping them for my future girlfriend/wife :)

Return to “Glove talk forum”