Good pichosting and filesharing sites

Got a query? We can help!

Moderator: Jake

Rommeltje
The man in charge

Good pichosting and filesharing sites

Post by Rommeltje »

Here's a list of good sites where you can upload your stuff and share them on the forum.

Pichosting:
Imagebam
There's more, but none as good as Imagebam.

File sharing:
Mega (preferred: free, fast, safe, easy to use, no limits.)
Mediafire
Hotfile
Depositfiles
Rapidshare is also ok.

Another very useful site is Mirrorcreator.com, which allows to to upload your file to several sites simultaneously.

Suggestions are welcome!
italiglover
WWGFA Orderly

Re: Good pichosting and filesharing sites

Post by italiglover »

Nobody really uses rapidshare anymore, since they kind of got rid of the all-you-can-eat system of unlimited downloads for your files. Oron is super popular now, a lot of people are using this one, I have a few suggestions as well that might be good to take note of for everybody here.

If you are paranoid that your links might get stolen and posted in other places without your knowledge. Nothing sucks more than some jerk not giving you credit. (A name will suffice)

Than you can mask your file link into this site.

http://lix.in/index.php

Some boards don't like them. It would be up to Romm is he does/does not want these used here. I'm guessing to stop re-directs perhaps?

Also, on other boards I've seen others use:
http://www.filesonic.com/
http://letitbit.net/

Hey Romm, do you know if MegaUpload is still making it hard for a lot of European visitors to download from still? Or was the problem with Mediafire?

As I hear of more I'll post them in!
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Sure, you can use lix.in if you want.

I don't know about MegaUpload. They were very annoying lately, with all links going to a "this file is temporarily unavailable" page, but that seems to have been fixed now. I don't know if it's still inaccesible for Germans, though. It probably is, since that was a measure of the German government, not of MU itself.

Mediafire is still the best one, in my opinion.
LatexJay
WWGFA donor

Post by LatexJay »

Any reason why we can't upload pics (and small movies) directly to the board? Several other forums I'm on allow this. Just wondering why we didn't make that decision?
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

You can do that. We just prefer you host them off-site. We don't have unlimited bandwith and storage space, so the less we use, the better. Then again, since we're only a small forum, it probably won't matter much. At the moment we're not even using close to 1 percent of what we're allowed. So if you want to upload stuff, go ahead. Especially if you have only a few pics, it's no problem.

One advantage of hosting sites such as imagebam, though, is that you get to see thumbnails of the pics you post. I'm on a few other forums myself as well, some of which do it like you suggest. That's fine if it's only a few pictures, but it gets rather annoying if you have to click on dozens of pics just to see whether they might be to your liking.

Most importantly, you can only upload one picture at a time to the forum, and it's not too stable. So if you have a whole bunch of pictures to share, it gets rather tedious to use the attachment function. With imagebam, you can upload a lot of pictures at once, and just post the entire gallery here.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Ok, apparently, if you attach them, you also get a preview thumbnail (though it's quite a large one), so you can ignore that second argument. First one still stands, but it's your choice how you do it.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Imagebam is dead! New preferred picturehost is Imgur!
Imagebam is back! It's our preferred imagehost again. But you can still use Imgur if you want.

Return to “Help Desk”