Having trouble posting [apple/android smileys chokes databas

Got a query? We can help!

Moderator: Jake

4rt

Having trouble posting [apple/android smileys chokes databas

Post by 4rt »

For the last few months, sometimes, when I try to post, I get an error message, I can’t remember exactly what it said, I just wondered if anyone else has had it and if there’s a solution?
Last edited by SexySurgical on Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: /!\ icon
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Re: Having trouble posting

Post by Rommeltje »

Can you take a screenshot next time it happens?

And what do you do when it happens? Have you tried hitting the go-back button on your browser?
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by SexySurgical »

I do have connection issues when submitting a post sometimes recently. This might very well be on the side of the host/ISP.

Screenshots/quotes still very welcome.
4rt

Post by 4rt »

Hi Rom, this is what I get:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x98\x94\x0A\x0A...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: wwgfa@hotmail.com

It’s happening a lot, for a few months now. This is about the only thread I’ve been able to reply to. Thanks for your help though!
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by SexySurgical »

Ah yes, I had something similar recently. Googling the incorrect string value suggests you're trying to include emoji's from like an Android or iPhone: https://apps.timwhitlock.info/emoji/tables/unicode

Our forum software is too vintage to make sense of that, so it chokes on it. Only working smileys are the those you can make directly w/ your keyboard, which have been converted into images already in the posting screen.
4rt wrote:Hi Rom, this is what I get:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x98\x94\x0A\x0A...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: wwgfa@hotmail.com

It’s happening a lot, for a few months now. This is about the only thread I’ve been able to reply to. Thanks for your help though!
4rt

Re: Having trouble posting [apple/android smileys chokes dat

Post by 4rt »

That’s brilliant! Thank you SS!

Return to “Help Desk”