Household Gloves in Literature

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

gloves1162
Occasional poster

Household Gloves in Literature

Post by gloves1162 »

I have been reading through "Underworld" by Don Delillo and today encountered this passage, in chapter 2 of part 5, about a glove-enthusiastic 50's housewife:
"One of her kitchen gloves was missing - she had many pairs - and she wanted to believe Eric had borrowed it for one of his chemistry assignments. But she was afraid to ask. And she didn't think she looked forward to getting it back...

The men went out to find the orbiting satellite. Erica cleared the table, put on her rubberoid gloves and began to do the dishes. Rick had kidded her about the gloves a number of times. The kitchen was equipped with an automatic dishwasher of course...

And the gloves protected her from scalding water and the touch of food scraps. Erica loved her gloves. The gloves were indestructible, basically, made of the same kind of materials used in countertops and TV tubes... The gloves were important to her despite the way they felt, clammy but also dry, a feeling that defied innate contradiction.
This section sent my imagination wild! I was so turned on by the obvious affection Erica has for her rubber gloves, the comfort and safety they represent for her and in her choosing to wear them to perform unneccesary functions. And, reading between the lines a little, she reluctantly believes her adolescent son Eric had taken one of her gloves for his personal pleasure time (earlier in the chapter he is described masturbating into a condom over a picture of Jayne Mansfield), and the mocking of her husband Rick presents a possible clue into their use as a prop for their own sex lives. The mental images these paragraphs conjure up, my goodness... what colour are her gloves, how tight do they fit, what does she do with them besides wash the dishes... :tongue:

Also, how silly was Eric in only taking one glove, when taking both from a woman with many pairs would surely have been less noticeable?

Have you come across any other books or passages from books featuring household gloves that turn you on in this way? I would be keen to read some more!
mrs uni
Rommeltje's Deputy

Re: Household Gloves in Literature

Post by mrs uni »

Very nice section of the chapter and you've asked some really interesting questions about it too, thanks for sharing.

I thought the same about Eric taking just one rubber glove; that's going to be so much more obvious. Wonder if it was ever reunited with it's matching glove or if Eric proved too err, vigorous...
Hanskar
Occasional poster

Re: Household Gloves in Literature

Post by Hanskar »

I remember reading A Confederacy of Dunces and discovering that the main character, Ignatius, liked to pleasure himself with a rubber glove.

Return to “Glove talk forum”