Supermarkets

Post your real life glove stories here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

gungegod
Regular poster

Supermarkets

Post by gungegod »

Does anyone else try and pop into their local supermarket each day to see who's doing the washing up behind the deli counter or is that just me? If i time it right there's usually someone wearing yellow marigolds there it's just pot luck over which staff member is wearing them! Is it the same for anyone else?
CharlieCC

Re: Supermarkets

Post by CharlieCC »

I admit I sometimes cast my eye, there's an okay looking middle aged woman who wears them to clean up there but not often. It used to be better when they cleaned up at the end of the day when I was a teenager, one thin blonde with glasses in yellow rubber gloves, a tall, skinny and pretty brunette in loose pink rubber gloves and a slender black girl who wore yellow marigolds - all three of them looked great! Although while I enjoyed watching them, I think it was at that time that I was aware of not wanting to look like I was staring them out...
gungegod
Regular poster

Post by gungegod »

Those three sound very nice then! Yeah i always just have to have a quick glance really, last thing you want is to be caught staring haha
CharlieCC

Post by CharlieCC »

If you've got some good view of glove wearing. I'm not so lucky where I am but I keep an eye out to get a glimpse now and then.
Rubbernurse
Occasional poster

Post by Rubbernurse »

Yes I often pop in to take a look, if I'm lucky sometimes you'll see the staff behind the rotisary counter washing up in long shoulder length black rubber gauntlets as well as the usual yellow or pink marigolds.

In one East London Tesco the evening cleaner was a Nigerian lady who used to spend lots of time cleaning the checkouts, always in pink or yellow rubber gloves and I even saw here double glove in pink and black rubber gloves once.
JaneyE
WWGFA Orderly

Post by JaneyE »

This reminds me of something that happened when I was a kid — 10-ish.

I grew up in a South American country, and my dad is a big fan of buying groceries at farmers' markets instead of supermarkets. Now, if you are European or from the US, the following may come to your mind when you read the term "farmers' markets":

But South American markets can be a little bit more traditional, more "down-to-earth". In other words, stuff that grows in the ground, like potatoes or carrots, very often is sold with a crust of earth on it, so the ladies that sold potatoes very often wore gloves all the time. Like this:

That's the best pic I could find on the internet to illustrate what I mean, but I'm talking about the 80's. Back then, fancy latex or nitrile gloves were rare, so they used to wear "normal" household rubber gloves. I remember standing there and staring at them for "hours"; or at least until my dad moved on to the next stall, and I had to follow him.
wmowrg
MIA

Post by wmowrg »

JaneyE wrote: .... I'm talking about the 80's. Back then, fancy latex or nitrile gloves were rare, so they used to wear "normal" household rubber gloves. I remember standing there and staring at them for "hours"; or at least until my dad moved on to the next stall, and I had to follow him.

Me too Janey, being a child of the 70s & 80s, I well remember ladies at markets and the local greengrocer shops ALWAYS wearing marigolds to weigh out the potatoes and other vegetables .... I suspect Mrs Uni will remember similar too ... :hmm:

... and fishmongers too ... none of this fancy, flimsy stuff worn today, a nice pair of proper household gloves .... <3

P.S. ... Now that I think about it, I can remember a couple of "characters" in TV programmes of the time who played that type of assistant to perfection .... If you get the chance to see "May to December", Kate Williams & Chrissie Cotterill play Lesley Dunlop's mother & sister in the series. They work at a greengrocers and are found in marigolds a few times ... (plus Lesley Dunlop herself wears them a couple of times during the series !)

.... and I'm almost certain that a young Elisabeth Sladen ( :luv: ) appears in an episode of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em as a similar character and is wearing rubber gloves in that too .... :scratch:
CharlieCC

Post by CharlieCC »

May to December - household gloves featured

series 2 episode 1

series 3 episode 6 (one of the best as it's Lesley Dunlop in yellow household gloves)

series 4 episode 1

series 4 episode 2 (briefly)

series 4 episode 5

series 5 episode 4

series 6 episode 2

series 6 episode 5

series 6 episode 6

The full playlist is up here if you want to log the details - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9yppPKPNTT

I've got a link to the Elisabeth Sladen clip you mentioned but she doesn't seem to be wearing household gloves...

If there are any missed or unique then feel free to say so...
KDS144
WWGFA donor

Post by KDS144 »

wmowrg wrote:Me too Janey, being a child of the 70s & 80s, I well remember ladies at markets and the local greengrocer shops ALWAYS wearing marigolds to weigh out the potatoes and other vegetables .... I suspect Mrs Uni will remember similar too ... :hmm:

... and fishmongers too ... none of this fancy, flimsy stuff worn today, a nice pair of proper household gloves .... <3
I remember looking forward to a trip to the green-grocer with my Mum, for the opportunity to spot some rubber glove action. I seem to remember that as grocers became self-service you would sometimes see a pair of rubber gloves by the potatoes for the customers to use, as they were unwashed in those days (not the customers :biggrin: ). Often Marigold lightweight.

I still see fishmongers using rubber gloves - they are in use all the time at one near here - Marigold yellow usually. Unfortunately the shop is staffed entirely by men, however:-( I think they like the ability to remove them to handle cash - it would be too fiddly with disposables.
Lolol
Regular poster

Post by Lolol »

That reminds me yesterday whilst looking around in small city near where I live whilst in the market saw a mid age or so women wearing rubber gloves saddly cheap pink ones

Return to “Experiences”