I just lost an entire story I was typing out on the forum ['compose intricate posts somewhere else to not sorta "memor']

Get help from our tech-savvy crew: learn how to make previews, where to upload, how to edit vids, etc.

Moderator: Jake

BlueFatCat123
Regular poster

I just lost an entire story I was typing out on the forum ['compose intricate posts somewhere else to not sorta "memor']

Post by BlueFatCat123 »

I had just finished a fictional glove story I had been typing out for the past 3 hours onto the forum. I was really happy with it, but it got deleted when I tried to post it. Even if I rewrite it all again it will NEVER be the same as the way I wrote it the first time. :(
SexySurgical wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:34 pm Retiring the signature I had for the better half of this year:
compose intricate posts somewhere else to not sorta "memory hole" them (when losing connection after hitting submit).

I finished the story. I reread it and was happy with it. I clicked post and i got brought to the login page because the website had logged me out whilst I was typing. It wouldn't have mattered if I had typed it up somewhere else first and simply copied and pasted, but I had written it directly from my brain onto that forum post so I had no other copies.

I don't know if anything can be done about this. I doubt it can. I'm so fed up though. If a mod could retrieve it somehow I'd be so grateful. If you can't I understand, I'm just feeling a bit defeated now that's all. I know it's probably pointless complaining about it, but that force logout feature after a certain amount of time really screwed up my day.
GlovedYankee
WWGFA donor

Re: I just lost an entire story I was typing out on the forum

Post by GlovedYankee »

Ya know I have to agree, the forced logoff is quite the pain in the ass. I too have lost things due to being logged off. Surely this can be addressed and fixed?
tronn206
WWGFA donor

Post by tronn206 »

Just sticking my nose in but wouldn't it be better too type the story into a text editor, where you can save it, and then copy and paste it on to the forum.
Twitter- @RubberGloveLove
Instagram - glove_lover206
Fetlife - NitramLatexLover
wmowrg
MIA

Post by wmowrg »

Unfortunately this is a common mistake we've nearly all made at some time in the past ... :S

As you say, the forum will automatically log you out after 60 minutes of inactivity ... :S

Having fallen foul of it myself a couple of times both when posting and composing PM's, nowadays I either keep the forum open in another window and remember to refresh that window before the hour is up or immediately before I go to post, copy the entire text to the clipboard by highlighting the lot and right-clicking ...

As far as I am aware, there is nothing that can be done about it and that text is lost forever, but without seeming to be conceited, I know it's a mistake that you won't make again ... My commiserations to you as someone who's suffered the very same ... :'(
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Yup, I, too, feel your pain. I've learned to always 'select all'+'copy' every once in a while, as well as hit the "save draft" button a few times when writing a long post.

I just upped the time-out limit to 10 hours, though (in all honesty, it never really occurred to me to just do that), so at least your ordeal has led to something positive. ;)
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by SexySurgical »

Retiring the signature I had for the better half of this year:
compose intricate posts somewhere else to not sorta "memory hole" them (when losing connection after hitting submit).

Return to “Technical Tutorials”