Marigold brand evolution: G01R and G31H and their transition to Ansell

A user generated wiki section for all glove related information

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

majkic
Regular poster

Marigold brand evolution: G01R and G31H and their transition to Ansell

Post by majkic »

These are two of my long-term favourite gloves/, both well-represented in various discussions here so I won't dwell on their descriptions; suffice it to say:

The G01R is fairly lightweight, a yummy raspberry-red in colour, has a beaded cuff and is lightly flocked inside. It was for a long time sold as Marigold's lightweight household glove, and it's lovely to wear thanks to its low-modulus (very flexible) rubber and close-fitting cuff. It's the best fitting household glove I know of, I just wish it wasn't flocked inside!

The G31H is however completely unlined -- a massive plus for me -- and is a natural golden rubber colour, somewhat translucent - and as such, very sexy IMHO! Although of similar weight to the G01R, the G31H is a bit larger (for a given nominal size) and it has a wide, gauntlet-style cuff, so much as I love its unlined, supple, silky rubberiness, the mould shape doesn't fit me quite so well.

With Ansell taking over the Marigold brand, I'd feared what might happen to both these gloves, but so far I'm pleased to report that is seems they've not been discontinued. Rather, the G31H seems to continue unchanged but re-named as "Alphatec 87-137": https://industrialcatalogue.ansell.eu/a ... eight-g31h

What's happening to the Marigold G01R is, however, more interesting - in both good and potentially bad ways. It's morphing into the Ansell 87-013: https://www.ansell.com/gb/en/products/alphatec-87-013 The good news, from my point of view anyway, is that it seems to be going fully unlined. I've long fantasised about what this gorgeous glove might feel like inside, if only it wasn't spoiled by the fuzzy flock lining, so in one sense this could be a dream come true. But now for -- again in my opinion -- the bad news; in its new guise the G01R is no longer going to be made from natural rubber, but instead from a "premium nitrile" material. I fear this may ruin what could have been a fantastic rubber glove experience; but I nevertheless look forward to finding out.

Has anyone here tried out the new G01R's? Note that here in the UK, on-line suppliers of the G01R like McCormick tools say they will be continuing to supply the old Marigold branded product until stocks run out: https://www.mccormicktools.co.uk/marigo ... loves.html

So a bit of a potential heads-up: (1) If you love the old G01R in proper rubber, now might be the time to stock up as a "last-time-buy" opportunity, before they go nitrile; and (2) if you like the idea of the unlined version, despite it being some sort of nitrile, you may need to wait a while until the new style is in stock.
wmowrg
MIA

Re: Marigold brand evolution: G01R and G31H and their transition to Ansell

Post by wmowrg »

Great post ...

Just for info, the G01R sold as the Lightweight glove some years ago is still around in the Marigold range as the "Handy Lightweight" glove

Availability is random from what I can see but they are commonly sold in the "pound" stores here in the UK - Places like B&M and Home Bargains seem the most common

Check the packing on Marigold's own UK website here ... https://www.marigold.co.uk/product/hand ... ht-gloves/
majkic
Regular poster

Post by majkic »

And a great reply, too - thanks for that information. Interesting to see if Marigold will still be selling a natural rubber version, whereas the Ansell one is going unlined nitrile? The only worry I have is that the red lightweight gloves are the only ones on the Marigold site without a price... :???: ...is this telling us something? Hoepefully not!
tigga76

Post by tigga76 »

To the Red Lightweight G01R it would be a shame, because I would not think of a direct alternative.
As far as the Featherweight G31H is concerned, the Vileda Professional LightWeight would also be an alternative.

Both gloves are currently at Amazon in Germany significantly cheaper than usual:
Marigold Red Lightweight G01R by Amazon.de
Marigold Featherweight G31H by Amazon.de

Return to “Encyglovepedia”