California/San Francisco household glove haul

Show off your glove collection here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Rommeltje
The man in charge

California/San Francisco household glove haul

Post by Rommeltje »

I took a trip to California recently, and - as you do - I did some rubber glove shopping there! :D I went looking for them every chance I got, which wasn't too often, as I was there with two friends, and we were in each other's presence almost all of the time.

(Sorry for the long read. Skip to where it says best gloves to read about my most exciting catch. :))

Still, I managed to make up excuses to go into a store alone a few times. Most of those times were in San Francisco. The only pair I got 'on the road' were the blue Dawn Ultra gloves (Dawn is an American brand of washing up liquid) - bought at a Dollar General store.

Since they were advertised as having a 'Long cuff' I was quite excited to try them out, which I couldn't until I got back home again. Unfortunately, they're not that great. Partly because I bought them a size too small (M - I figured American hands are bigger than European ones on average, but I guess not :-v), but also because the material is quite thin, and not as rubbery as it looked on the box.

The white Mr. Clean Bliss gloves were the first ones I bought. I went into a Safeway supermarket on the last day of our first stay in San Francisco (we were going on a round-trip), expecting to find a big range there. But there wasn't much that interested me at all. It was all Mr. Clean, and not the best ones. Not wanting to waste my sneak-off, I decided to just buy the latex-free gloves. As expected, they're not fantastic. I like them better than the Dawn gloves, though.

Now, the best gloves I found on the very last day of our vacation, back in San Francisco. In the first weekend we were there I had already gone into Chinatown to go to another store. I passed an Oriental market on the way, and without really looking at it, I had the feeling they must've had some rare gloves. I couldn't go there at the time, but I made sure to orchestrate another opportunity to check them out next time we'd be in SF.

I managed to set it up, and sure enough, they had a whole bunch of different - Asian! - gloves. :)' The only problem was that they were all on the side of the market, outside on the street. 8-O I felt a bit too self-conscious to go browsing through them right then and there, so I went inside to look if they also had them there. But alas, I'd have to suck it up and just ignore the feeling that people were watching me check out the gloves like a kid in a candy store. :mrgreen: (What didn't help was the Chinese granny sitting near the door, and looking at me like she knew exactly what I was up to. :p)

There were actually too many gloves to take with me at once, so I had to make a choice. I chose the yellowest pair, and the pair that seemed to have the longest cuffs (and cost the most, to make sure I had at least one pair of quality gloves. :-)) I would've loved to take them all, but next time I guess.

They're both pretty nice gloves, but the long ones are particularly great. The yellow ones are a bit short, and I probably should've taken 'em one size smaller, and the grips of both the yellow ones and long ones are quite brutal (see the pictures below), but since they're both unlined, you can turn them inside out, and they're completely smooth!

The long ones are perfectly shaped, and are naturally colored (almost a little see-through), and the material is nice and thick. Highly recommended! So if you're ever in San Francisco, make sure to visit the Oriental Shopping Center at 620 Pacific Ave.! (You can even see the stands with the gloves on Google Earth - and the old Chinese lady at the door as well, actually. :hmm:)

Image Image Image Image
italiglover
WWGFA Orderly

Re: California/San Francisco household glove haul

Post by italiglover »

I do have a pair of the carnation gloves. I think they are a brand from Taiwan. I believe they have an even longer version of those. The best thing to do in Asian markets is I've learned to ignore them and just buy what I want. Like they'll ever see you again anyways? Nice haul!
mrs uni
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by mrs uni »

Nice gloves Romm.
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by SexySurgical »

Those whites look pretty cool.
Rommeltje wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:55 pm I took a trip to California recently, [...]

The white Mr. Clean Bliss gloves were the first ones I bought. I went into a Safeway supermarket on the last day of our first stay in San Francisco (we were going on a round-trip), expecting to find a big range there. But there wasn't much that interested me at all. It was all Mr. Clean, and not the best ones. Not wanting to waste my sneak-off, I decided to just buy the latex-free gloves. As expected, they're not fantastic. I like them better than the Dawn gloves, though.

Now, the best gloves [...]
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

SexySurgical wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:05 pmThose whites look pretty cool.
Meh, they're not latex.

I don't actually know what they are, though. The box just says "latex-free material". :scratch:
katertjekat
VIP

Post by katertjekat »

Rommeltje wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:07 pm
SexySurgical wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:05 pmThose whites look pretty cool.
Meh, they're not latex.

I don't actually know what they are, though. The box just says "latex-free material". :scratch:
They're vinyl. Absolutely a turn off for me. Unfortunately in Japan, most household gloves are becoming vinyl instead of rubber.
italiglover
WWGFA Orderly

Post by italiglover »

I actually had that very problem when I went to Japan a few months ago. My girlfriend, being Japanese, went back in December couldn't find me any latex ones...It's a fascinating country to shop in. That's for sure!
They're vinyl. Absolutely a turn off for me. Unfortunately in Japan, most household gloves are becoming vinyl instead of rubber.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Aww, so I missed my chance to go glove shopping in Tokyo? :(
italiglover
WWGFA Orderly

Post by italiglover »

Rommeltje wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:30 am Aww, so I missed my chance to glove shopping in Tokyo? :(
Can always go back! If you need suggestions next time, let me know! I also know great restaurants too!
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Yeah, but I mean, if they're all vinyl there now, there's not much reason to go there anymore. (Well, not much glove related reasons, anyway. I'd still love to go there of course. :-))

Return to “Glove collections”