The Legacy (a “Family Business” sequel)

Post your fictional stories about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

JaneyE
WWGFA Orderly

The Legacy (a “Family Business” sequel)

Post by JaneyE »

Do you remember “Family Business”?

I never planned to write a “Family Business” sequel, but recently inspiration struck me out of the blue. This is just a short story, but I wrote with a lot of love. I hope you enjoy it.

GlovedYankee
WWGFA donor

Re: The Legacy (a “Family Business” sequel)

Post by GlovedYankee »

Brava! Awesome follow up ;) I really enjoyed it.
Someguy
VIP

Post by Someguy »

Thanks for writing this Janey. It's great to read that Lyra and Priya and carrying on the tradition. Imagine a future where all women wear gloves all the time even from birth?!

One question I did have was what happened to Victoria? Aside from that, a very fun sequel to a fantastic story.
sims
WWGFA donor

Post by sims »

yes really enjoyable :up: :up: :up: :up:
JaneyE
WWGFA Orderly

Post by JaneyE »

Someguy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:23 pm Imagine a future where all women wear gloves all the time even from birth?!
Oh, I have always imagined that! When I was a teenager I used to imagine a glove school like the one I wrote about not long ago, and then I would pretend that I and all my friends were wearing gloves in class, and I swear I used to get wet just from thinking about it!
JaneyE
WWGFA Orderly

Post by JaneyE »

Someguy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:23 pm One question I did have was what happened to Victoria?
The truth is that I fell out of love with Victoria while writing Family Business, which is why she didn't have a happy ending. And when I was done, I forgot about her, whereas Lyra, Priya and Kirsi have stayed in my heart all these years.

If you remember the ending of Family Business, Victoria meets Lyra at the Botanic Garden and tells her that Pip is studying business management abroad, and that she will probably be the heiress of the glove company. That's why Pip is the CEO in this sequel, and you might remember that she was always nice and kind to Lyra, so it makes sense for them to still be friends.

Then Victoria says she's going to Paris for a new job that Amélie has arranged for, but she's willing to stay in Oxford if Lyra takes her back. Lyra doesn't, so we have to assume that Victoria went to Paris.

Back then, I probably wanted Victoria to be happy with Amélie in Paris, but the truth is that I didn't care enough to think about her at all.

Now I sort of wish that Victoria stays alone and unhappy for ever because of her horrible character.

It's funny how when you create characters that are so human, they sort of take on a life of their own and then do what they want, and you as the writer are in principle just writing down what they do instead of deciding anything.

Anyway, if anybody likes Victoria enough to give her a sequel, please feel free to contribute.

Return to “Glove Stories”