Wearing household rubber gloves at the pub

Post your real life glove stories here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

JaneyE
WWGFA Orderly

Wearing household rubber gloves at the pub

Post by JaneyE »

In many countries, this weekend was Carnival weekend. In Switzerland, the celebration is called Fasnacht (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival#Swiss_Fasnacht), and it's the time of year people like to put on costumes and go out to see the parades and celebrate afterwards. As for people going out in costumes, it's like Halloween in the US, i.e. it's the time of year you can wear whatever you want, and nobody will dare to criticise or make fun of you. However, since it's a celebration that has its roots in pagan rites that intended to drive away the evil winter spirits, traditionally the costumes are bizarre and crazy rather than sexy or sluttish. However, sometimes crazy can be very sexy as I discovered yesterday.

I live in a small mountain village in the Swiss Alps, and my flat is located above the local pub, with my balcony directly above the entrance to the pub. Yesterday evening I was standing on my balcony watching the village's teenagers celebrate on the street when I suddenly noticed three girls in their early twenties smoking outside of the pub. They were dressed in blue caretaker (janitor) suits and wearing yellow rubber gloves. Looking closely, I recognised one of the girls as the cashier at our local grocery shop, and since we usually have a good chat beyond small-talk when I buy there, I decided to go down and say hello.

She introduced me to her friends and when I asked about the unusual costumes, she explained that there were other seven girls inside the pub wearing the same attire, and that they knew each other from dancing lessons at the local dance school. They simply felt like being crazy that night. When they were finished smoking, they asked if I wanted to join them for a drink, which I happily accepted because I wanted to see if all ten girls were, in fact, wearing rubber gloves.

They were! All of a sudden, I was sitting at a large round table with nine girls wearing yellow household rubber gloves and one girl wearing pink rubber gloves. I knew immediately I would be posting about this sighting here and thought the situation was so crazy that you would probably believe I was making it up. But I'm not. This story is absolutely true.

Then, out of the blue, this girl I know from the grocery shop slid her hand into her coat's pocket, fished out a pair of yellow rubber gloves still sealed in the packaging and smacked them onto the table right in front of me.

"You're not being serious," I said incredulously.

"I am!" she said. "The girls and I made the pact to not take our gloves off all night, no matter what happens."

"That's true," the girl in the pink gloves said. "You can't imagine how much my hands are sweating in these, but I'm keeping them on."

"I told you that was the wrong brand," chimed in another girl. "My hands are dry and comfy like the minute I put these gloves on four hours ago. I could keep them on for a week!"

"You see?" said the girl from the grocery shop. "If you want to have a beer with us, it's only fair you put these gloves on."

Of course I hesitated for a second, but then I thought, if not on Fasnacht, then what other day would be appropriate for doing such crazy things?

Two hours and four pints later, I kissed my new friends goodbye and went back to my flat. Only when I tried to get the key out of my trousers' pocket, did I realise that I was still wearing the rubber gloves my friend gave me.

"Whatever!" I said to myself. "I'm sure she won't miss them. She probably nicked them from the grocery shop."

:-*
Janey
pinkrubbergloves
WWGFA Orderly

Re: Wearing household rubber gloves at the pub

Post by pinkrubbergloves »

Best experience ever...!!!

Thank you for sharing
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Wow. :shock: Carnival's not my thing (here in the Netherlands it's only celebrated in the south, while most of us "above the rivers" don't want anything to do with it), but If I'd had an experience like this, it might've just spun my opinion around 180 degrees! :w00t:

Thanks for sharing, Janey! Do you think you'll strike up a conversation about how you still have the gloves next time you see her? :-)

One other thing. It's probably my dirty mind, but I was expecting this sentence:
JaneyE wrote:Then, out of the blue, this girl I know from the grocery shop slid her hand into...
to go a whole lot different than it did. :D
JaneyE
WWGFA Orderly

Post by JaneyE »

Rommeltje wrote:One other thing. It's probably my dirty mind, but I was expecting this sentence:
JaneyE wrote:Then, out of the blue, this girl I know from the grocery shop slid her hand into...
to go a whole lot different than it did. :D
Of course you were! Wash your dirty mind with soap! :tongue:
mrs uni
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by mrs uni »

Great story! Love the fact that they vowed not to take them off all night, it's just like something from a fantasy..... bet you enjoyed that! :tongue:
Catania Guanti
Regular poster

Post by Catania Guanti »

Here in Zurich was a quiet night :( I've seen nothing "strange", a classic boring swiss day :( At least it seems next day will a be a little bit colder :D

Nice story Janey :) You really had much luck! :D
C.G.

Have you tried my Anime Gloves List? Maybe you can help me too!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6826
lglove

Post by lglove »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing with us! Wish we had something similar here in Sweden!! :'(
glovelover20
Regular poster

Post by glovelover20 »

That, is by far the best true story that I have seen posted on here for a while, man, that would be paradise to be on that table. <3 Oh wow, you've made my morning!

Return to “Experiences”