What killed gloves in US fashion.

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

countrylatexglover
VIP

What killed gloves in US fashion.

Post by countrylatexglover »

So from what I can read on this forum seems there is a lot more gloves still in fashion and worn in most European countries and they are less ground upon there that the US.

Not just in Europe From what I have read here seems like the US is the only country that has taken to them as taboo for anything other that protection from cold or dirt or germs.

Has anyone ever figured out the real reason that gloves are wired to wear in the United state and not really anywhere else’s. Really makes me sad to see that if I walk around with normal looking non latex gloves I still get stares and if I wear nitrile or latex gloves out in public i really get some looks, I just Wish they would come back into style or become less taboo for everyone to see. Would love to wear my gloves in public without being stared at as weird.
Someguy
VIP

Re: What killed gloves in US fashion.

Post by Someguy »

Well latex gloves will always get you some looks. I'd say the number one deterrent for people not wanting to wear gloves is smart-phones. People are addicted to them and, at least in their mind, gloves inhibit their ability to constantly be checking them.
devdas5z1

Post by devdas5z1 »

It's more than smartphones. There are a lot of additional factors. Gloves have been popular during times when a) people have had a lot of disposable income. b) it's been socially acceptable to flaunt one's wealth, And c) fashion has trended more conservative.

Debt is a big issue (sorry to get serious, but you asked the question). Wages have been flat. Housing costs and college debt are skyrocketing, So people are saving money were they can. I live in a large college town that used to have lots of glove and boot action. Not anymore. Malls and department stores are gone, and most women are content to buy cheapo rayon gloves from mini-marts and convenience stores during cold months. High heeled boots (and heels in general) are a rarity, as workplaces and social norms have pushed women's fashion into more "functional" styles. Sneakers and Uggs are most common, even in cold months. Some of these clothes do cost more than they look, but the trend has been designer clothes that look casual and gender-neutral.

Last year I had to sell some of my mother's clothes to a consignment shop that caters to older, wealthier women (my Mom had expensive taste). The shop bought almost everything I had to offer, except for outerwear. The shop owner explained to me that even older women don't buy coats anymore, because they spend so little time walking the streets where they can be seen. People get in their cars, run their errands, and go home. And more and more services exist now (Amazon, Uber, food delivery apps) to deliver goods to you, meaning people aren't leaving their homes as much. All this means that there's less incentive to spend money on luxury items like gloves.
countrylatexglover
VIP

Someguy wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:42 pm Well latex gloves will always get you some looks. I'd say the number one deterrent for people not wanting to wear gloves is smart-phones. People are addicted to them and, at least in their mind, gloves inhibit their ability to constantly be checking them.
Yeah I know latex gloves will that’s just a choice I make sometimes i know I’ll get stares for that. But I still also get the for knit gloves also I don’t have isotoners to wear or like silk gloves but I do have costume gloves just hate the way they fit. Been looking for a great pair of really tight skin colored gloves or ones latex ones that are almost invisible. But I’m the mean time I just wear my xsmall white nitrile gloves out as they are a little harder to see sometimes black also and then my knit gloves and guitar gloves sometimes.
countrylatexglover
VIP

devdas5z1 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:22 pm It's more than smartphones. There are a lot of additional factors. Gloves have been popular during times when a) people have had a lot of disposable income. b) it's been socially acceptable to flaunt one's wealth, And c) fashion has trended more conservative.

Debt is a big issue (sorry to get serious, but you asked the question). Wages have been flat. Housing costs and college debt are skyrocketing, So people are saving money were they can. I live in a large college town that used to have lots of glove and boot action. Not anymore. Malls and department stores are gone, and most women are content to buy cheapo rayon gloves from mini-marts and convenience stores during cold months. High heeled boots (and heels in general) are a rarity, as workplaces and social norms have pushed women's fashion into more "functional" styles. Sneakers and Uggs are most common, even in cold months. Some of these clothes do cost more than they look, but the trend has been designer clothes that look casual and gender-neutral.

Last year I had to sell some of my mother's clothes to a consignment shop that caters to older, wealthier women (my Mom had expensive taste). The shop bought almost everything I had to offer, except for outerwear. The shop owner explained to me that even older women don't buy coats anymore, because they spend so little time walking the streets where they can be seen. People get in their cars, run their errands, and go home. And more and more services exist now (Amazon, Uber, food delivery apps) to deliver goods to you, meaning people aren't leaving their homes as much. All this means that there's less incentive to spend money on luxury items like gloves.
I agree with you and don’t be sorry. I’m glad I was able to spark a conversation been trying to do that for a while but haven’t been able to think of good topics. Need to think of more questions or discussions topics would love to see more peoples gloved opinions around the country and world. And your not kidding can’t even get kids to tuck their shirt in anymore unless they are from the country. I always wear a button down or pearl snap shirt from time I wake up to going to bed just the way I am now, I can’t stand the way I look in a t shirt much. A nice belt and clean jeans for me, and of course gloves when I can lol.

I do so much wish we could get back to a time of more properties and manners if you get what I mean. People dressed with some much more respect years ago men went from wearing suit and ties to t shirt and flip flops. Now not a bad thing but just what happened. I mostly dress for professional look every day but I’m also not a afraid to get dirty when I get home to work outside that’s really my passion. I still dress in a collard shirt even to get dirty just me though, then my older jeans and nitrile gloves under leather work gloves to get things done. 8)

Glad I could spark some conversation hope to see more comments on this!
devdas5z1

Post by devdas5z1 »

This article in Vogue Business explains the problem the leather industry is facing:

https://www.voguebusiness.com/sustainab ... -poll-peta

Basically, designers still love using leather, but like fur, it's becoming less popular among the general public, and prices for leather goods are falling (which is bad for their survival). A poll found that 37 per cent of people in the UK and 23 per cent in the US think leather is an inappropriate material to use in clothing. If that trend holds, that's going to make the future a lot less sexy.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

devdas5z1 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:58 amA poll found that 37 per cent of people in the UK and 23 per cent in the US think leather is an inappropriate material to use in clothing. If that trend holds, that's going to make the future a lot less sexy.
dopefish

Post by dopefish »

The only trend in the article is the price of leather falling. The people thinking its inappropriate is a data point without reference to the past.

I'd say the actual reluctance to buy expensive leather goods is somewhere in the neighborhood of wage stagnation and cost of living increase.
countrylatexglover
VIP

Someguy wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:42 pm Well latex gloves will always get you some looks. I'd say the number one deterrent for people not wanting to wear gloves is smart-phones. People are addicted to them and, at least in their mind, gloves inhibit their ability to constantly be checking them.
This is true I know i do that to my self. Exam gloves have never been in fashion but even sometimes wearing knit gloves I get stared at a bit too when it’s like 60 sorry my hands are that cold yes. The exam gloves are what feels the best to me. I think even if I wore other kinds of gloves I would still get started at as where I’m from it’s not the norm at all unless it’s that cold out.

So i get it that exam gloves will get stares but I feel like even cotton gloves or other materials would also.
countrylatexglover
VIP

It must have been the invention of more casual clothing or lack of care about how we look today. Gloves are sophisticated and a way to show it nowadays people don’t care much about that. And don’t even get me started of fingerless gloves. For those of you who like them sorry but to me pointless!

Return to “Glove talk forum”