Wearing gloves in public coronavirus edition?

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

countrylatexglover
VIP

Re: Wearing gloves in public coronavirus edition?

Post by countrylatexglover »

Anyone still wearing the gloves in public at all? I know it’s almost come to a July here still some wear them and other just don’t. I know I still do for sure and she does as well. When ever we go out.
Hunter32

Post by Hunter32 »

I’ve not worn gloves or a mask yet during all of this and likely will not. I have noticed definitely less gloves being worn and a few less masks in general as things are improving greatly in my area
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

I read a couple of newspapers saying we should be encouraging it to be socially unacceptable not to wear a mask in public for the future (i.e. beyond the pandemic), but gloves got little mention. It's more about preventing the need for gloves in the first place, which, in terms of waste for such short use, I am sadly in agreement with. I only wear them out if I'm going to the supermarket now. If I'm going for a general walk around, I just take a pack of tissues and use those to touch door handles etc. then I can safely throw those away immediately (unless I go to certain boroughs where there aren't any bins -.-).

I got told off by security for bringing my own bags in (???) and was told to use a trolley or basket in future. I said I wasn't going to touch either of those things, gloves or no gloves (I've also been going to that particular shop for a year and they've never had an issue)! I've brought my own bags to the shops for the last five-six years because I know how vile the handles or the aforementioned are.

Interesting how quickly perceptions and opinions can change, though, because before the lockdown there were some supermarkets *giving* customers gloves to wear before coming in. Now it's overall less common to see. Although I did see someone outside my flat driving a battered old car whose seats were fully covered with plastic sheets; he wore a full-on head covering with a mask and visor, then double-gloved with some arm length gloves and disposables on top... He's taking no chances!

My office has just deployed masks and gloves for all to use inside, with posters up saying how to wear and dispose of them... but right now it's only specific teams who need to be on site who will use them. Sounds like they'll be there for the next 6 months though.
countrylatexglover
VIP

So i have seen biodegradable gloves which is a good thing. I guess I might be one of the few who continues to wear them like this. Though I have developed a comfort level with it now and i don’t want to touch public surfaces without them.

I don’t think we should discourage the behavior at all. Just my opinion. People who have gotten the virus might wish to wear them so as to not live through something like that again if they got it bad enough.

My office will be giving us mask from what I hear but I have my own and I will continue to wear my gloves for a long while. I expect people to talk me out of it and tell me it’s over and we can get back to normal. We won’t have the same norm we did before for several years as much as we want to. I just hope public glove wearing is a little more accepted now even though it seems to have calmed down quite a bit. Even if no mask I’ll still keep the gloves. Though it seems like masks are a permanent trend in other countries.

Now that it has calmed down gives us disposable glove lovers a chance to get our stock back of course once they don’t need them as bad on the front line anymore that is.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Jake wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:58 amI got told off by security for bringing my own bags in (???) and was told to use a trolley or basket in future.
I thought that was stupid at first too, until I realized it's so they can keep track of how many people are in the store. If there are no more trolleys or baskets, that means no more people are allowed to enter.

Still, they should have someone disinfect them each time they're returned. Most shops do that, but not all, unfortunately.
countrylatexglover
VIP

We have a similar thing but it’s for protective reasons they don’t want people bringing in their bags and contaminating more. They have also brought back plastic bags for a short time.
Any store still protecting you i think is good right now a lot of things are going to change from here on out and permanently I think. Eventually human nature will make us revert back but not right away.
countrylatexglover
VIP

So I am still wear gloves and will continue to do so. We went to a place that just opened up for people to be able to stand online for what they were ordering. I was the only one wearing gloves in line and probably will continue to be the only one wearing them in this area. Is anyone else here still wearing them?

I am still finding articles over the flood of news media say to not wear gloves that they help more that the masks and that the mask is lowering our immune system.

I feel like the us is the only country telling it’s citizens to not wear gloves and every other country is doing the opposite. Like you all have figured it out that they do work.
speedmstr
WWGFA donor

Post by speedmstr »

countrylatexglover wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:08 pm So I am still wear gloves and will continue to do so. We went to a place that just opened up for people to be able to stand online for what they were ordering. I was the only one wearing gloves in line and probably will continue to be the only one wearing them in this area. Is anyone else here still wearing them?

I am still finding articles over the flood of news media say to not wear gloves that they help more that the masks and that the mask is lowering our immune system.

I feel like the us is the only country telling it’s citizens to not wear gloves and every other country is doing the opposite. Like you all have figured it out that they do work.

As I have said before the media are justified in their position. If you are practicing social distancing properly, you have little to no reason to be outside. Therefore, there is no need for wearing gloves.

If you are in public the misuse of PPE poses a serious health risk for cross contamination in public. Imagine a person touching something dirty with their gloved hands and then picking an item, of a supermarket shelf. Until that shelf is cleaned again any potential contaminants remain, thus increasing the likely hood of infection to the next person.

The aforementioned risk is what health professionals, government officials and the media fear. This would increase infection rates and be difficult to manage/ coupled with challenges on educating ignorant people. Increased infection rates will burden an already burdened healthcare system. This is why their agenda is justified.

So its far easier to tell people to stop wearing them and wash hands frequently, use alcohol based hand sanitizer etc. Or better yet stay INSIDE and avoid unnecessary exposure in public places.

I assume you are referring to the United States in your posts. In the UK, Sweden and many Islands within the Caribbean and South America, there has been a declining trend in wearing gloves. Except for placed with high rates of infection and a scared populous e.g Mexico.

Effective social distancing measures and awareness programmes regarding the misuse of PPE, have reduced the need for people to wear gloves. Of course some individual's and families persist, but they are in the minority.

Politicians often take a utilitarian stance when tackling health issues, so it is no surprise that they wish to stop the misuse of PPE outright, by discouraging its use. Rather than waste time and resources teaching people how to use PPE properly. They are saving those resource's both PPE and financial aid for the healthcare sector. This is why alternatives like must staying home And washing hands (frequently and for at least 20 seconds) are preferred ... Not only are they cheaper, they are also more effective

Even with appropriate training on how to use PPE the risk is still there. Prevention (by staying inside) is always better than cure. Think of the medical professionals who know how to use PPE responsibly and are still becoming infected and dying.

It is easier and safer to mandate supermarkets, to offer personal shopper services, online shopping and home delivery. This reduces the number of people in public, thus reducing infection rates and flattening the curve. Thus the alternative measures are a better solution.
countrylatexglover
VIP

Never knew that gloves and mask would cause such a spark in conversation. I have stated before that I found a few links saying that gloves do help. To the areas where doctors are still having trouble finding them should be become less. Most online shops have limited their supply’s to people and focused on help the front line get what they need.

So if us cannot stay inside as we work on a small bit of 16 acres of land or way more than that, Hence my user name countrylatexglover. Staying inside for us means staying on the property as much as possible which we try and do. I am also a first responder who they now technically consider front line people due to our interaction with others when needed. We follow ever safety percussion we can to prevent the spread.

Unfortunately I know many people nowadays who say we if I get it I get. They don’t understand what happens next if you get hospitalized with it. This would be a problem for me as I don’t not do well in hospitals. We are wearing the ppe because I have properly trained everyone in my house hold on how to wear them when we need to get food. If what we do offends anyone I apologize however, we are a very small fish in the huge pond so what we do should have no affect on anyone else.

We all choose to follow our own beliefs and that’s what makes us all different. If I end up being the only one who continues to wear gloves in public that is fine. I no longer wish to touch a public surface with my bare hands. I know people are still not washing their hands properly which is their choice and mine is to wash properly and wear gloves.

I do not with to put politics on this forum as not needed but they all say to wear masks and not gloves. Makes no sense to me as the mask does not protect against the virus like gloves do. The mask is filtering out all the germs we need for our immune system and the gloves keep corona away from you. Even if we had done the gloves in the right way people would still have complained. I have wore them at the gas pump for years now because I have seen thing I cannot unsee and of you have ever used a diesel pump before it doesn’t come off your hands for a while and many do not like that smell or the fuel on their hands.

I didn’t want to spark and conflict here. I was just enjoying the fact that I wasn’t the only person wearing gloves in public now. It will end soon as no one wants to wear them anymore. I have found myself being the only one wearing them sometime and that’s okay. I have developed a phobia during this thing and this is now my hang up doesn’t need to offend anyone!

I seriously cannot want for this whole thing to be over but I think we are in a new norm and will be for a long time sadly. Hope everyone here is staying healthy and keeping away from this thing and having some glovely days!!
Toti
WWGFA Orderly

Post by Toti »

yesss, today I've seen a woman (in her 25/30 yo) in yellow household with a dog <3

Return to “Glove talk forum”