Wearing gloves in public coronavirus edition?

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Ceramic
WWGFA donor

Re: Wearing gloves in public coronavirus edition?

Post by Ceramic »

can only wish goverments worldwide would make the public wear gloves just like masks ;)
countrylatexglover
VIP

Post by countrylatexglover »

Ceramic wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:14 am can only wish goverments worldwide would make the public wear gloves just like masks ;)
Same!! Totally agree with that.
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

So it's a bit of a click-bait title as there's hardly four lines specifically addressing the point, but supposedly ministers in the UK are "considering" making gloves a recommendation for use in shops. As of today, masks have been made mandatory by law in shops, which is presumably why this has surfaced now.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/mini ... 07831.html
countrylatexglover
VIP

Jake wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:52 pm So it's a bit of a click-bait title as there's hardly four lines specifically addressing the point, but supposedly ministers in the UK are "considering" making gloves a recommendation for use in shops. As of today, masks have been made mandatory by law in shops, which is presumably why this has surfaced now.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/mini ... 07831.html
I saw that hope it gets passed! NYC folk from what I hear decided to wear them and cut the spread even more!

Unfortunately in the states an old video was just made viral from months ago. Now even though no one around here wears them much anymore it had to be said again. I hate the video he is being ridiculous about gloves. Very few are wearing them and those that are know how to remove them properly now.

When I saw the article you have hear I thought maybe a glimmer of hope for more safety. We will have to see hope it gets passed. I’m sure some on here will disagree but sorry that’s how I feel!
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

I think I know the one you mean. Everyone makes the same illogical point about it. "If you touch something with your gloves and then touch something else, you're spreading the contamination!" -- so what about when you touch something with your bare hand and then touch something else? Or are we all expected to sanitise after every interaction with any different object? Smh.
med_glove_love
Regular poster

Post by med_glove_love »

I think the push back against gloves is the false sense of security. People know/have been trained now that they need to wash their hands frequently and well. They also minimize the number of things they touch and sanitize what they do touch. But once they start wearing gloves, a lot of that seems to go out the window. They stop washing and sanitizing their hands, they touch more things than they would, etc.
So its not as much about touching something gloved vs barehanded as it is about losing the required cautionary behavior related to the hands in general.
shed740
Regular poster

Post by shed740 »

med_glove_love wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:34 pm I think the push back against gloves is the false sense of security. People know/have been trained now that they need to wash their hands frequently and well. They also minimize the number of things they touch and sanitize what they do touch. But once they start wearing gloves, a lot of that seems to go out the window. They stop washing and sanitizing their hands, they touch more things than they would, etc.
So its not as much about touching something gloved vs barehanded as it is about losing the required cautionary behavior related to the hands in general.
I would echo this

Even before these crazy times we find ourselves in, many I know who work in the food sector advocate that bare hands are better, as you know when they need cleaning/washing, as you feel it.

We in our niche know and understand gloves as well as those in the medical profession (maybe even better?). Here in the U.K. at least, none of the advice from medical experts advocates the use, quite the opposite, or at lest in the main. We all know how easy a glove rips when put up to ‘rigorous’ use.

Plus if everyone starts using gloves, the waste created will be enormous. Not to sound like I’m on a rant, but not too long ago, we were all watching images on Blue Planet 2 and being horrified by the plastic waste in the sea. Now all that seems to have gone out the window with gloves and masks being plucked out by the handful from parts of the Atlantic, Mediterranean, etc..

As I say, not to be putting a downer on it, in the settings where staff etc. are obligated to be gloved, it is a pleasant surprise/sight.
countrylatexglover
VIP

Jake wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:17 pm I think I know the one you mean. Everyone makes the same illogical point about it. "If you touch something with your gloves and then touch something else, you're spreading the contamination!" -- so what about when you touch something with your bare hand and then touch something else? Or are we all expected to sanities after every interaction with any different object? Smh.
Totally agree with that. Apparently our hands are a magical barrier that can kill the virus unlike gloves lol.. i hate when they say don't wear gloves because your spreading the virus around. we are doing the same thing bare handed. drives me nuts. at least with glove on you can remove the virus and be done with it. cleaning your hands is huge as long as it can be done. if that were the case we should be washing our hands after touching everything. cant be done.
countrylatexglover
VIP

shed740 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:15 pm
med_glove_love wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:34 pm I think the push back against gloves is the false sense of security. People know/have been trained now that they need to wash their hands frequently and well. They also minimize the number of things they touch and sanitize what they do touch. But once they start wearing gloves, a lot of that seems to go out the window. They stop washing and sanitizing their hands, they touch more things than they would, etc.
I would echo this

Even before these crazy times we find ourselves in, many I know who work in the food sector advocate that bare hands are better, as you know when they need cleaning/washing, as you feel it.

We in our niche know and understand gloves as well as those in the medical profession (maybe even better?). Here in the U.K. at least, none of the advice from medical experts advocates the use, quite the opposite, or at lest in the main. We all know how easy a glove rips when put up to ‘rigorous’ use.

Plus if everyone starts using gloves, the waste created will be enormous. Not to sound like I’m on a rant, but not too long ago, we were all watching images on Blue Planet 2 and being horrified by the plastic waste in the sea. Now all that seems to have gone out the window with gloves and masks being plucked out by the handful from parts of the Atlantic, Mediterranean, etc..

As I say, not to be putting a downer on it, in the settings where staff etc. are obligated to be gloved, it is a pleasant surprise/sight.
i get that i do wear gloves whenn cooking usually as to keep cleaner just me. wife does not she is fine with touching food i am not so much.

right you are im sure. We do know a lot about gloves probably more than we should lol but that's the fun of it for us. gloves can have micro tears or tear getting put on i get that. for most people they are and inconvenience to have to put on. my only problem i have is one that i am apart of in the opposite sense. i hate when the message is don't wear gloves they dont protect you. this is not true and i'm starting to read it a lot more. i get cross contamination but that happens bare handed as well. our hands get contaminated as soon as they touch a surface so the same thing with gloves except the contamination can be removed. if you don't want to wear them that's fine its up to you, but that's just it it should be up to you.

if we started telling people not to wear masks anymore because the virus can get right through them they will believe it if you say it enough times. that is what happened with gloves. the recent video from the doctor who says stop wear gloves your making things worse really made me upset. he did do anything in the video correctly and took the glove off wrong himself. of course you will show the message you want if you do it wrong too in the video. the worst part is that its an old video from April when they had a glove shortage and told people to stop wearing the because they don't work. could have just taught people how to take them off but couldn't do that. the only thing he said correctly was they cross contaminate.

so glad we talk it all out here also and have a good discussion about it! i wish the waste was not happening and that this whole thing never happened even tough it has given me a reason to wear my gloves out in public and not be ashamed. all that said i totally am okay with the slow down on glove wearing, gives some of us a chance to stock up. just don't like when people say gloves are bad and publicize it. that's my deal they are not bad at all, of course we all know that here lol. if you don't want to wear them that's fine but we need to stop training people that they are bad and will hurt you!! we trained people how to wear masks the right way we can do the same with gloves!
countrylatexglover
VIP

that is understandable, however from what i have seen most people are not being careful right now at all. a lot of people in my areas are trying to not wear masks as much as possible or removing it to sneeze or cough and reverting back. the false sense of security is created anytime there is a shortage of ppe for the front lines. you have to tell people something that will make sense to them other that the truth lol. masks have created a false sense of security as well letting us think if we wear one we wont get the virus. but the cdc said a while back that masks wont protect you... against a respiratory virus come on of course it will. and they said gloves will protect you. then they went back on their word and said the reverse and have kept it that way. now that we have taught everyone how to wear a mask properly though they still don't its okay cause we know better.

Medical gloves stop viruses simple as that. gloves get micro tears yes they do. not just nitrile but surgical gloves used in hospitals do as well. if we wore masks properly and gloves and washed our hands regularly we could stop this whole thing. hand sanitizer is absolutely terrible to use the way we are right now and we should be letting people know that as well but that's not the case much either.

My only problem as i mentioned previously is that we are saying negative things about gloves in a wrong way to stop people from wearing them. we aren't doing that with masks even though they are be worn wrong as well and that can spread the virus also. i would just like to see some messages out there more saying "if your going to wear gloves out in public that is fine just do it properly and still wash your hands". if you don't want to wear gloves fine no problem keep on doing what you been doing but stop saying that gloves are bad and are making things worse unless disposable masks are included in that message also. or advocate and teach people how to wear them properly we did it with disposable masks we can do it with gloves also.

also for the record my least favorite phrase right now is "false sense of security" when its said about gloves. masks can give us that also, and hand sanitizer. it was coined to get people away from ppe when its needed on the front lines. nto saying we dont need it on the front lines but hate the rep they have gotten with it!

love getting to talk with you all about this also and get out how i feel about it!

Return to “Glove talk forum”