Wearing gloves in public coronavirus edition?

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

GlovedYankee
WWGFA donor

Re: Wearing gloves in public coronavirus edition?

Post by GlovedYankee »

Try hardware stores and restaurant supplies places.
APC
WWGFA donor

Post by APC »

countrylatexglover wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:20 am Thanks for the pic. We are all starting to do the same thing. There have been an increase in masks round here as well!

I am curious to those of you in countries that this has subsided or completely gone are people still wearing gloves and masks, is the trend sticking? I feel like this is going to be hard for people to stop wearing the PPE. And does the social aspect change for ever also or does it get easier? I feel like life changes permanently for the most part.
Yes while I believe the majority of people will return to their normal ways. The psychological effect of this virus may well cause certain people to be wearing ppe well into the future. I’ve got to say as much as it is entertaining seeing all these ladies wear gloves everywhere (attractive middle aged lady at shops today had a very nicely thigh pair of white latex gloves on at the shops today, i could help but take a few quick glances haha!). I do find the prospect of this ppe obsession dragging on into the future irritating for the following reasons.

1. waste - and we using and disposing of enough these days?
2. Misuse of ppe - as others have mentioned people aren’t even using gloves correctly to offer any decent level of protection
3. Long term effects on immune response- u know it’s understandable why some people are wearing all this ppe atm but living a life like this could well have negative impacts on your immune system. We actually need exposure to some germs so our body becomes used to fighting them, living a sterile life could make something like a common cold more deadly over time due to lack of exposure.

Personally i wash my hands quite a lot especially cause i handle money at work (not atm), but I won’t go as far as gloves etc, at least not where i live cause it’s nothing compared to other parts of the world.
countrylatexglover
VIP

Post by countrylatexglover »

I do agree people don’t know how to wear them. I also think it wills top soon as a lot of people on my social media are saying how bad it is to wear gloves. Really makes me sad because to those who know how to wear them it does make things safer in my opinion. Yes washing your hands is better but to what extant. When I wash my hands a lot the crack and bleed allowing more risk for contamination as you can just wear the gloves and take them off and throw them away. Just wish people would teach more how to do it safely.
Eventually the gloves will probably stop not for me but for most. Guess that will mark them more readily available.

Sorry the post I saw just made me very sad to see how negative people are about gloves these days.
countrylatexglover
VIP

I have no problem with building up my immune system but there is other ways to do it besides touching germs all day. Usually I use to do that I just don’t want to get this thing right now. I mean they have mandated us to wear masks now and to me I just add gloves to that. After something’s I have seen I won’t not wearing again for a long time. Once this whole thing goes away we will all build up our immune systems. There are plenty of airborne illnesses we can build up with but this shouldn’t be something to mess with.
med_glove_love
Regular poster

Post by med_glove_love »

Speaking as a Biochemist/Molecular Biologist, the only way to build your immune system is exposure. This exposure can take many forms. The most common is a vaccine. In the absence of a vaccine, your body has to either be exposed to the virus, form the immune response, and fight off the infection or you have to receive a transfusion of the immune proteins from someone who has undergone the infection.

The importance of proper glove usage has been mentioned several times, so I'm not going to harp on it again. However, I will say this since I haven't seen this particular angle brought up yet. Improper glove usage doesn't just affect the person who is not using their gloves properly. It is a cross contamination risk for everyone. Viruses, bacteria, fungi, and filth that would never be present in a particular area can be carried there by improper glove usage and cross contamination. Think of it similar to someone who is not showing symptoms taking the virus to a new area. Therefore, it is possible for someone with improper usage of gloves to actually spread diseases and make this situation worse.

The purpose of the PPE recommendations was never to stop the spread of the virus. The PPE recommendations were to slow the spread enough that the hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed. It pretty much takes a vaccine or herd immunity for the spread of a virus to be stopped. In the absence of a vaccine, we need to wait for herd immunity to take over and the only way for that to occur is for a large majority of the population to have been exposed, mounted an immune response, and prepare the required immune protein. That takes time and in the process some people will get more sick than others which is why we need the hospitals to be able to respond and not be overwhelmed. The rest of us need to take steps to prevent the out of control spread that has been seen in China, Italy, and parts of the US such as using masks (nose and mouth need to be covered) and washing our hands.

TL;DR: The main way you build your immune system is through exposure to pathogens. Incorrect glove usage could make this worse for everyone through cross contamination and introducing the virus to physical locations it hasn't been otherwise carried to. If you're going to use PPE, use it properly. If you aren't going to use it properly donate it to a hospital for those who need it and will use it properly. And finally, wash your damn hands whether you use gloves or not.

P.S. Any scientific or medical types around here, please feel free to correct my science if I was wrong.

[Edited to correct typo.]
Last edited by med_glove_love on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
countrylatexglover
VIP

I would like to take this time to apologize if my statements above have been in error or are not proper to say. I had been put into a defensive mode yesterday as I’m sure most people are correct in says just wash your hands and you’ll be fine. We need to do what is right to make sure this thing doesn’t spread in anyway. I have been taught for several years now how to properly donn and doff Holes being a first responder which is why I feel they help so much. I did not mean to give out false info about immune systems in anyway. Or say how much gloves can help if they don’t.

I will be retracting my last few statements expressing these feeling as this is suppose to be a positive post about gloves and masks being worn. Let’s keep it that way and please keep posting about it for everyone to enjoy. Again i apologize for my last few posts. It will be corrected if need be.
countrylatexglover
VIP

Whelp seems to have happened... in my area the gloves have almost stopped benign worn and now everyone is just in masks. It was nice to see while it lasted. Hopefully this will free you the glove market again and we can finally start getting into a newer normal. I will still be wearing them of course for a while but. I think I will end up being the only one soon in my area.

I am glad that we might be getting to an end with this thing but sad to see the gloves go for sure.
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

Since reading this I've noticed the trend has dropped in London too. The only place I still see people wearing them is in supermarkets.

Maybe everyone is running low on personal stock? If everyone wore a pair a day for the last two months then that's a box of 100 gone... Unless you happen to have, say, 20 boxes lying around... :rolleyes:
countrylatexglover
VIP

Haha Naa I wish lol I do not i have enough for my family to wear for a little while as I gave been praying they get caught up so we are can get some more. I guess I didn’t think about that unless they are trying to get more and won’t have them for a month in which case everyone will just loose interest.

I know once this is over I will probably get picked on by some friends as I will be wearing them out for as long as I can get them. This thing has turn me into actual glove wearing germaphobe lol. This for a glove fetishist won’t be easy lol though we have gotten use to it so! :)
Ceramic
WWGFA donor

Post by Ceramic »

Funny thing
What about couples getting married nowdays ? Ofcourse most postponed it...but what if some still gonna do it now ?

Wish i could see a bride with long gloves + pair of household gloves on top
And ofcourse a mask to the face...😍

Suddenly all the masked women in the world looks like lite version of Mileena/Kitana from mortal kombat 🤣🤣

Return to “Glove talk forum”