HH glove wearing in Asia

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Re: HH glove wearing in Asia

Post by Jake »

I certainly think east and south-east Asia has a preference for gloves on rather than off. In Chinatown in London, all the shop assistants walk around in yellow Marigolds when cleaning, and all the butchers etc. at the meat and fish counters wear them too.

I spent some time in Singapore last year and the same could be said there. Sadly I can't say I noticed many 'aunties' or 'uncles' wearing them at Hawker centre stalls, which is where I spent a lot of my time. I do fondly recall a shop close to where I was staying that had a chap in his 20s who worked there and he was always wearing elbow-length pink Mamison gloves for cleaning shelves <3 Shame homosexuality is punishable by imprisonment over there, eh...

Shops in general in SG had a good choice of Japanese, Malaysian (world glove capital ofc), Chinese, and some American brands. As mentioned above, there seems to be more availability of vinyl and flock gloves, but I did notice a large proportion of the brands on offer favoured elbow-length rubber gloves. Looking forward to going back to Asia and discovering more brands :P
gloveloverus
VIP

Post by gloveloverus »

When I was in Hong Kong years ago, there were still a lot of outdoor wet markets for selling fresh meat/veggies! Most workers would be wearing household gloves, in particular at the time the pink Marigold gloves! As Hong Kong tends to be warm in the summer time, I'd see a lot of inside out gloves hanging by the side of the stall! Some definitely when inside out, would look worn out but definitely quite a view to see how gloves getting well used! Most of the workers were older generation, however, when in the summer time, some daughters would be helping the parents and sometimes would see some good gloved scenes from younger folks!
condomgloves
Occasional poster

Post by condomgloves »

Lots of food sellers in Bangkok wears disposable gloves, Cambodian love to wear cotton gloves as the sun is rather strong. Not much in Singapore as it is humid to wear gloves.
I LOVE CONDOMS AND LATEX GLOVES.
distantglovingalert
Regular poster

Post by distantglovingalert »

I am from Indonesia, and when I lived there, glove wearing was not a big thing compared to other Southeast Asian countries. A lot of our islands are humid just like Singapore and some parts of Malaysia, so wearing gloves is not usually comfortable. As somebody has implied above, older workers and vendors are typically not fond of wearing gloves, but younger ones do tend to wear them for hygiene reasons. These are mostly rubber cleaning gloves and disposable gloves. Household gloves are not very common as well, but I guess the issue was mainly because what was available in the market was just cheap, knock-off gloves. But I do think, when these are available, people would appreciate them. (My exes certainly did. Lol.)

With all that said, Indonesian cyclists and motorcyclists do typically wear gloves when riding, typically cotton, leather, or knit gloves. In this case, the situation is very similar to Vietnam and Cambodia, for instance.
Turn it on... Turn it on, turn it on again!

Return to “Glove talk forum”