Another gloved piano player :D

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

operalove

Another gloved piano player :D

Post by operalove »

I don't think I have seen this youtuber here before.

We already talked about these two players:
- viewtopic.php?p=65690#p65690
- viewtopic.php?f=43&t=30814

I recently discovered this lovely Japanese piano player who cosplays for every cover she plays and many song are played while wearing gloves :luv:

Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Re: Another gloved piano player :D

Post by Jake »

As a classically-trained pianist, my experience playing with gloves on has never been good. Sure, you can play block chords and simple melodies without too much hassle, but it's very difficult not to slip when playing romantic/classical era pieces (dependent on the material of the keys, this varies) especially with gloves that don't have any grip at all, like the satin gloves some of these ladies are wearing.

I've just tried playing this piece by Liszt with different gloves on as an up-to-date experiment, and my conclusion is thus:
Tight surgical: Possible but I noticed I mis-judged the jumps
Loose disposable: Consistently miscalculated jumps unless looking at the keys
Well-fitting household rubber gloves: Nope. I have thin fingers and anything that thick means my muscle memory gets confused, and the weight of my hand is different so the intonation and dynamics are off.
Satin gloves: Nah man, I slipped all the time. Chromatic runs were possible but the scalic runs were a mess.

Any harpists on the forum wanna try on their harp? :lol:
operalove

Re: Another gloved piano player :D

Post by operalove »

Oh yes, I admire these players because I also play piano and find it really difficult to play correctly with gloves. As you said, unless you play simple modern stuff, it is relatively fine but accurate classical pieces... I gave up.
I actually tried satin(and fabric like cotton) and yes it is very slippery, quite flexible but slippery.
The best grip I could get was with leather, it feels so good on the keys but you must really have the perfect fitting pair. Because I can't stretch enough to reach some notes and also I feel like loosing my muscle memory and my finger muscles fight hard inside that I can feel cramps after removing them haha

Yeah, still it is a nice experience, I like playing slow pieces or improvising sometimes while gloved

Return to “Glove talk forum”