YRG coating feels odd.

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Grims
VIP

YRG coating feels odd.

Post by Grims »

Hello folks,

been a while I've been hunting for yellow rubber gloves that feel "rubbery". I have the marigolds and playtex handsavers and the classic polyco but they all feel like they have a coating. Vileda doesn't have that coating on them but they're blue or pink and it seems the gloves rachel steele used in her <2013 clips are the last time I've seen gloves that looked rubbery and probably felt rubbery.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows a brand of rubber gloves that doesn't feel plastic/neoprene coated? Would help if they're available in Canada.

thank you!
Grims
Link to the source of my Avatar: viewtopic.php?f=47&p=31961#p31961
tronn206
WWGFA donor

Re: YRG coating feels odd.

Post by tronn206 »

Pros & Cons of Chlorination

Chlorination is the problem. The forum post above by Jimglove explains it and is also very interesting.
Twitter- @RubberGloveLove
Instagram - glove_lover206
Fetlife - NitramLatexLover
Grims
VIP

Post by Grims »

ahhh, thank you so much! that explains it!
Link to the source of my Avatar: viewtopic.php?f=47&p=31961#p31961
Jimglove
Regular poster

Post by Jimglove »

Thanks Tronn for the reference to my article!

It seems increasingly glove makers are chlorinating as a way to make gloves less sticky and easier to get on and off. Then you've got nitrile or neoprene coatings as well which (to me) remove all sense of 'rubberiness'.

I don't know what manufacturers sell their products in Canada, but other than Vileda, Spontex/Mapa don't chlorinate. Here in the UK, I've found a few places to get non-chlorinated gloves, and I've become quite good at being a detective in this - I can usually tell by feeling the gloves through the packaging, seeing how much friction there is. They also tend to look more matt than chlorinated gloves if you're shopping online.

Hope that helps!
tronn206
WWGFA donor

Post by tronn206 »

Jimglove wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:37 pm Thanks Tronn for the reference to my article!

It seems increasingly glove makers are chlorinating as a way to make gloves less sticky and easier to get on and off. Then you've got nitrile or neoprene coatings as well which (to me) remove all sense of 'rubberiness'.

I don't know what manufacturers sell their products in Canada, but other than Vileda, Spontex/Mapa don't chlorinate. Here in the UK, I've found a few places to get non-chlorinated gloves, and I've become quite good at being a detective in this - I can usually tell by feeling the gloves through the packaging, seeing how much friction there is. They also tend to look more matt than chlorinated gloves if you're shopping online.

Hope that helps!
As a fellow Brit, what unchlorinated gloves can you recommend. I haven't got a clue anymore so any help would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:
Last edited by tronn206 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter- @RubberGloveLove
Instagram - glove_lover206
Fetlife - NitramLatexLover
Jimglove
Regular poster

Post by Jimglove »

Hi Tronn

I hear ya....

Tesco own brand lightweight gloves (pink) are unchlorinated and they seem to be reasonably close fitting, although a bit short. Rolled cuff. Available in small, medium and large.

I also currently really like one line of B&Q gloves, but sadly they only do them in size 8. Perfect for me, but not so good for female hands. They are green, 32cm long (which is great) and have rolled cuffs. The webpage says they are nitrile foam, but they are actually latex. https://www.diy.com/departments/general ... 623_BQ.prd. I'll do a review when I have a mo.

Co-op own brand yellow gloves are not chlorinated. Sizing is a bit funny though - small and medium seem to be very similar and large is massive, almost x large.

Spontex gloves are available in Robert Dyas and Sainsburys, but very limited in sizes, with no small anymore. Or online.

Traidcraft are very nice (I think they are Polyco Swift Household) but only available in Medium. https://www.traidcraftshop.co.uk/traidc ... ber-gloves

Other than that, dependent on where you live, it might be worth a trip to a cleaning equipment supplier - there's one near me that has a range of very standard rubber gloves, but they are not chlorinated and come in all colours and sizes.

Good luck, let me know how you get on :8up:

Return to “Glove talk forum”