Why is it weird to wear gloves in public?

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

countrylatexglover
VIP

Why is it weird to wear gloves in public?

Post by countrylatexglover »

Why has it been deemed taboo by most of our society in the US to wear gloves in public? I can’t speak for other countries because it seems that gloves are quite normal or a form of formal attire still in other parts of the world.

We are very casual here and I can’t figure out why anything hit that is taboo. Men do wear cowboy hats much or other kinds of nice hats anymore. Not it’s mostly t shirt and ball call very casual.

Now I get that wearing disposable gloves is not really normal but why is it weird to wear other ones in general. Like a pair of cotton gloves while your out. Only for dressing up in costumes do we really wear gloves when it’s not warranted.

Now yes I still wear gloves sometimes it is become less as Covid “is over” in my of my communities eyes. This is because they are over it and trying to be tough it’s sad. I won’t wear my gloves around certain people anymore and just suck it up about germs I guess because people are so over it. But if j go to a store I have them on.

I just really wish gloves weren’t such taboo and that it could be normal to wear them with out being looked at as weird.
dopefish

Re: Why is it weird to wear gloves in public?

Post by dopefish »

You have the answer in your question. People don't want to be seen as weird or stand out.
countrylatexglover
VIP

My question is why are they deemed or considered weird to wear? Why are they not normal?
sexcuir
VIP

Post by sexcuir »

unless you work with med you re weirdo when you re putting latex
Ceramic
WWGFA donor

Post by Ceramic »

cause stigma still rules,and large precentage of ppl are still old minded,so being gloved outdoors equles being wierd.

wish we all moved to utopia where anyone could wear anything without someone telling him anything.
countrylatexglover
VIP

Agreed with that. Wish we could wear gloves when ever we wanted. Though I tend to wear what I want anyway. Cowboy hat snap shirts and vests that looking a little old fashioned and yes of course boots lol.
Last edited by countrylatexglover on Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dopefish

Post by dopefish »

countrylatexglover wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:34 pm My question is why are they deemed or considered weird to wear? Why are they not normal?
Only because not enough people wear them.
countrylatexglover
VIP

dopefish wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:17 pm
countrylatexglover wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:34 pm My question is why are they deemed or considered weird to wear? Why are they not normal?
Only because not enough people wear them.
Maybe more should start if they really wanted to. I know it’s taboo so most people won’t do it but it doesn’t hurt to branch out either. Certainly not telling anyone they should unless they want to. With this subject I guess it can take a lot of courage but the pandemic did make it easier unfortunately but fortunately. As I have gotten older i really dislike the way our society at least in the US deems socially acceptable and not. Really don’t get some of our styles these days!
dopefish

Post by dopefish »

You have to reach a critical mass of people who don't actually care how other people judge them doing something to make it okay for others essentially.
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

Come and walk around Soho in London on a Friday night and you'll see a community of people who don't mind being seen in latex and leather, and the boundaries and taboos of fashion get removed!

Until a fashion designer who isn't 100% bonkers decides gloves are a suitable fashion accessory for men and woman in various materials once more, we won't be able to convince the general public. Remember when Calvin Klein released those £400 latex gloves? Yeah, that hit our community pretty bad. I've got a pair that cost £15 and they're better than them :lol:

Return to “Glove talk forum”