Have you ever converted someone?

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Have you ever converted someone?

Post by Jake »

With over a decade of posts here, this has surely been asked before... but I'll ask again anyway!

Have you ever converted someone who wouldn't ordinarily have worn or used gloves for certain purposes to start using them? E.g. Commented about someone's weathered fingers in winter and recommended they start wearing leather gloves, or seen someone washing up in scalding water without some rubber protection? People cleaning in general without wearing gloves? Has someone claimed it was unnecessary, or just not considered using them before and you've proved them wrong?

If so, who, and did you have any ulterior motives beyond care for your friend? I'd be interested to hear if anyone's willing to confess to doing it for the "wrong reasons".

I myself have converted one person (and came close to converting two others) in the last ten years. It wasn't through much encouragement, but we lived together for three years and she'd noticed my cleaning habits early on. I wore gloves for almost every task around the house, and also wore disposable gloves to prepare food, so more often than not she'd see me with some kind of hand protection on. She also liked to tease me for my choice of colourful washing-up gloves. She was from the US and, from what she was telling me, it's more common over there to clean things individually rather than fill up a sink full of water and wash everything together (if any Americans wish to contest this, please do!). Consequently, gloves weren't considered so vital as direct contact with hot water could be avoided. I pointed out various pros to wearing gloves, especially when it came to big washing up tasks. Things like grip, heat protection, not having to touch used food, and -- my biggest peeve -- no risk of getting things under your fingernails.

We used to have Sunday roast dinners most weekends in the house and, between four of us, there was a lot of mess left over afterwards. I'd fill the sink and get to work in a long pair of pink rubber gloves! One Sunday, she picked up the gloves and put them on before I could get up from the table. She did as I would do and filled the sink up full of water. After that day she was very thankful that I'd convinced her that a good pair of gloves were the way forward. Since then, she wore rubber gloves for any washing up job and said her hands felt so much smoother all of a sudden. Two years went by and she'd still wear them every day. When she moved out, she asked for cleaning product recommendations including where I got my gloves from (as most of my household gloves aren't bought from supermarkets and many aren't even from the UK!!).

All in all, I was happy to have converted someone to a higher standard of cleaning, and it was a bonus that she also enjoyed wearing gloves. I don't think there was anything deceiving in my encouragement and advocation for her to wear gloves, and I don't think I really tried to force it on her either. Primarily I just wanted her to enjoy cleaning things more, given we shared a living space (and a bathroom at one point) and I have high standards. Seeing her wearing gloves was a bonus, I guess, but I didn't get a 'kick' out of it.

With that being said, I did try to convert one of my male friends a couple of years later. Mainly it was just to advocate hand hygiene but there may have been a bit of "Wouldn't he look good..." about it. He was hesitant and didn't really see the appeal. I think he just found it unnecessary after having managed for years without using them. Plus I usually wore pink gloves around the house (it's just a nice colour?!) and that probably made him -- he has a big beard, deep voice, and is 6'3" -- a bit uncomfortable. I guess he's just not the kind of guy to enjoy a pair of pink Marigolds while washing up, eh? :rolleyes: When we all moved out together I organised a deep clean and bought everyone rubber gloves to use if they wanted. He wore them then, so that was a little victory. 0:)
Ceramic
WWGFA donor

Re: Have you ever converted someone?

Post by Ceramic »

nope,never did.
tho i think lots of ppl (man and woman) are "half way there",just need a lil push (most ppl wear gloves once in a while,for dirty jobs at home,and in all kind of situations...so gloves isnt THAT wierd...just our fetish is.
countrylatexglover
VIP

Re: Have you ever converted someone?

Post by countrylatexglover »

Unfortunately I think the pandemic has changed my wife to not liking gloves or masks. She won’t wear masks when we play anymore and gloves only for when we do things and it’s only because she knows I like them.

Gloves are not a thing for her much anymore besides that. It’s honestly sad for me to see but I try not to complain as no one wears gloves around here anymore except me.

I have had people say that is smart I wish I have though about that. But the way gloves have been presented is so negative that people have gotten way away from them around here. Sanitizer is now the answer for everything and it’s sad to see. I wish we would revert back to gloves but that just won’t ever happen again they have been giving too much negative connotation.

Return to “Glove talk forum”