Did the rubber glove sizes change?

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Yellowhrgobsession
Regular poster

Did the rubber glove sizes change?

Post by Yellowhrgobsession »

Hey,
I recognized that at least here in germany the sizes of the household rubber gloves of some brands changed. There are still three sizes S/M/L but I think
what was L before is now M and what was M is S. That does not count for all brands but especially the gloves of the more common brands here in germany changed sizes I think. I am 1.88 tall with normal sized hands for my hight and
depending on what brand and model of gloves I wear size S gloves fit very tight but i can put them on. How van that be? Usually size S should be so small that it is impossible for me to put them on. As I bought my first pair of hrg years ago size M was too small.
Vileda der Griffige
* Size L is too big
*Size M fits when the gloves are new but after a few weeks they are too big
*Size S is too small at the beginning but after some time they fit

Spontex Hausputz
* Same as the Vileda. They become bigger and they are difficult to put on at when they are new. Size M is very difficult to put on but after a month they are too big

My suggestion: They changed the sizes because of political correctness because people blamed the glove brands for building gloves too small for most men? Thats not good, because changing the sizes that way leads to the fact that woman wear size M gloves which are way to big

https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEB3JB2
Thats me wearing Vileda comfort &care Size M. Perfect fit but L is too big and M becomes a little too big after weeks/months

https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEB3JC1
Thats me wearing Spontex Hausputz size M. Difficult to put on, little bit too small at the beginng but now they are a litte too big too. I can wear size s of those gloves. Super tight but they fit.

Maybe I am completely wrong but my suggestion is that the sizes changed. If the sizes didnt change it means that the cheap no name gloves fit smaller than the more common brands because back when I started buying gloves I always bought gloves of no name brands and they were way smaller which means often better for womans hands.
katertjekat
VIP

Re: Did the rubber glove sizes change?

Post by katertjekat »

Sizing is really not applied consistently. My wife has Medium for all of her gloves, but for cleaning and doing the dishes, she's using Spontex 'zarte Handen, and these ones she needs to get in size L else they're way too snug.

Spontex Zarte Hände, pflegende Haushaltshandschuhe mit sanftem Mandelöl, aus Naturkautschuklatex - Größe L, 1 Paar https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07DJH9HWC/ref ... A4S54BT9SK
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Re: Did the rubber glove sizes change?

Post by Jake »

Size numbering should be more accurate than lettering. Manufacturers, usually dependent on their target market, will have different perceptions of what a "large" vs. a "medium" is. I often notice some consider a "small" as a size 6-6.5, and others consider "small" a size 7-7.5.

Companies which cater towards mechanical or other industrial sectors might call a size 7.5 a "small" because it's unlikely there will be anyone with small hands (short men or "most" women) working in those sectors... not that that is necessarily true, but perhaps long-term market research has shown there's not much market for smaller glove sizes for certain sectors.

I know brands like Spontex even incorporate this dependent on the intended use of the specific gloves they're selling. Their "Tough" product is labelled as "medium" but they still model it on a "large" hand (8-9). I can only suspect it's because they they think only big burly men are going to wear "tough gloves" for heavy-duty work. Which, again, is completely unfounded.

Also note that the same company might re-design the same gloves and retain the old packaging, assuming most people (non-connoisseurs!) wouldn't notice. If they change the composition of their gloves, the sizing may inadvertently also change, or gloves may shrink or expand over time with different material composition. A good example is Polyco's "Deep Sink" gloves. They recently changed the entire manufacturing process, dipping, coating, lining, and rubber content and made an extremely inferior product with weaker structure, cheaper rubber, and a cheaper lining. It's probably due to the latex demand since Covid-19 kicked off, but it's meant the sizing is no longer consistent with the old Deep Sinks.

Return to “Glove talk forum”