spam wave: handfull bots doing ~170 replies: short term considerations

Get up to date with the goings on of the forum

Moderator: Jake

SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

spam wave: handfull bots doing ~170 replies: short term considerations

Post by SexySurgical »

Thanks for all the reporting throughout the weeks.*

We are having trouble installing good anti-bot measures, and since I don't have full admin capabilities, we have to wait it out till R0mmie returns by next weekend.
I might do gross domain banning in the meantime or instate a post approval mechanism for new users (who might or might not be bots).

Please report the most obnoxious, troublesome, hindering posts via the [!] button, however I can spot them almost always from a mile away in the Unread Posts lists, or whatever sub forum listing.
All removal is manual, so new users w/ names somewhat akin to spambots (JohnDoe w/ no spaces for example) need not worry.

Those w/ sufficient Mod capabilities: please move the stuff to the Spam Analysis subboard in Moderator Area.
Do not delete any username/email/IP as we need this statistical info for automatic pre-banning (which however needs to be entered manually :ugeek: :lmao: ).
(You can however ban and deactivate accounts.)

SexySurgical wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:13 pm I will get back on this shortly. Just removed 988 threads of spam, some of more than 1 reply. We had a handful of spambot all using outlook.com email addresses posting ~170 threads & replies...
* reports are deleted when the reported post gets deleted. Also there's no direct PM button, so I will rarely if ever respond.
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Re: spam wave: handfull bots doing ~170 replies: short term considerations

Post by SexySurgical »

I found a simple way to block all e-mail addresses, simply enter the universal wildcard charater: *

Message for people trying to register:
SexySurgical wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:07 am To block a spam wave all e-mail addresses are rejected for new registrations.

Please check back next weekend when we have this sorted out.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Re: spam wave: handfull bots doing ~170 replies: short term considerations

Post by Rommeltje »

We should be safe from spam again.

Return to “News”