Latex glove (OCD)

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Ffgloveloverff
Occasional poster

Latex glove (OCD)

Post by Ffgloveloverff »

Anyone else get frustrated when people mix nitrile/pvc glove with latex? I'm sorry but your blue plastic gloves are not latex 😂
Latex gloves, medical/surgical latex gloves.... Just say no to Nitrile and PVC
Ffgloveloverff
Occasional poster

Re: Latex glove (OCD)

Post by Ffgloveloverff »

I also feel cheated that since Covid it's been almost impossible to find medical/exam latex gloves in the local pharmacy stores. It's like the accessibility of my fetish is disappearing and it makes me terribly sad.
BuddyB
Regular poster

Post by BuddyB »

I personally hate it when people label exam gloves as surgical gloves.
Ffgloveloverff
Occasional poster

Post by Ffgloveloverff »

BuddyB wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:59 pm I personally hate it when people label exam gloves as surgical gloves.
It is borderline offensive to me when people call plastic gloves latex hahaha
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

Sadly latex is being phased out almost globally for most non-professional consumers of disposable gloves. The market wants an all-purpose glove that is resistant to most things anyone would use within their homes. Nitrile meets that bar in more categories than latex, so nitrile is favoured. Manufacturers increase nitrile production and reduce latex harvesting (which I suspect also costs more as it still needs to be done manually at the material gathering stage). An increasing number of people have latex allergies and it's very rare to have an allergic reaction to nitrile. Business consumers who work in customer-facing environments like food wouldn't want to take the risk of accidentally killing a customer so they buy in the safer alternative. If anyone in the workforce has a latex allergy, the business would need to buy latex and nitrile, so it's cheaper and more convenient to just buy one type.

I very much agree it's so annoying when people wrongly call them "latex" as a catch-all term. People grow up with the term and don't consider what latex actually is; it wouldn't surprise me if most people don't actually know what latex is at all. Alternatively, people may think "nitrile" is a brand name and not realise the material is any different. Any layman would probably not notice besides the colour. Most people I know can't even don disposable gloves properly so it's clear they don't take much notice of what it's made of or how it feels.
Ffgloveloverff
Occasional poster

Post by Ffgloveloverff »

Jake wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:11 pm Sadly latex is being phased out almost globally for most non-professional consumers of disposable gloves. The market wants an all-purpose glove that is resistant to most things anyone would use within their homes. Nitrile meets that bar in more categories than latex, so nitrile is favoured. Manufacturers increase nitrile production and reduce latex harvesting (which I suspect also costs more as it still needs to be done manually at the material gathering stage). An increasing number of people have latex allergies and it's very rare to have an allergic reaction to nitrile. Business consumers who work in customer-facing environments like food wouldn't want to take the risk of accidentally killing a customer so they buy in the safer alternative. If anyone in the workforce has a latex allergy, the business would need to buy latex and nitrile, so it's cheaper and more convenient to just buy one type.

I very much agree it's so annoying when people wrongly call them "latex" as a catch-all term. People grow up with the term and don't consider what latex actually is; it wouldn't surprise me if most people don't actually know what latex is at all. Alternatively, people may think "nitrile" is a brand name and not realise the material is any different. Any layman would probably not notice besides the colour. Most people I know can't even don disposable gloves properly so it's clear they don't take much notice of what it's made of or how it feels.
It just makes me sad my thing is dissolving for me
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

Definitely. Although in the UK we still have plenty of options when purchasing for business or industry. Supermarkets do still sell boxes of latex gloves but they're usually considered this special household item and charge double the price of a normal box but you only get 50 gloves and they're so flimsy and probably not even 3 mil.

Lidl sells their own-brand (W5) boxes of 100 for about £6 ($7.40) and they're excellent quality!
Bolmir
Regular poster

Post by Bolmir »

A real shame the disappearance of latex gloves. Now in any hospital there are nothing but nitrile gloves. Latex gloves fit better and feel better in the hands, the touch is wonderful. Nitrile/vinyl are nothing more than plastic
GlovedYankee
WWGFA donor

Post by GlovedYankee »

Jake wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:39 pm Lidl sells their own-brand (W5) boxes of 100 for about £6 ($7.40) and they're excellent quality!
Well then I'll have to see what the American version of Lidl sells here. I've not seen Latex gloves in awhile here in any of the stores. So all I have to use is Nitrile, but I get a Black 6 mil that I like, even in 12 inch length.
Ffgloveloverff
Occasional poster

Post by Ffgloveloverff »

GlovedYankee wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:45 pm
Jake wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:39 pm Lidl sells their own-brand (W5) boxes of 100 for about £6 ($7.40) and they're excellent quality!
Well then I'll have to see what the American version of Lidl sells here. I've not seen Latex gloves in awhile here in any of the stores. So all I have to use is Nitrile, but I get a Black 6 mil that I like, even in 12 inch length.
Nitrile is not good enough for me, luckily I've horses hundreds if not thousands of latex gloves over the years but I know the end is near

Return to “Glove talk forum”