Strange smell of Chinese rubber gloves

Talk about gloves here

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

GumTom
Regular poster

Strange smell of Chinese rubber gloves

Post by GumTom »

I've bought some long Chinese unlined rubber gloves on Amazon. They feel great but unfortunately they have an intensive strong smell, mainly on the inside. No typical rubber smell which wouldn't be a problem.
So, I have turned them inside out and washed them. But the smell does not disappear.

Do you have any ideas how I can get rid of that smell? Any similar experiences?

Thanks.
Gumtom
katertjekat
VIP

Re: Strange smell of Chinese rubber gloves

Post by katertjekat »

It's one of the reasons I'm refraining from buying Chinese gloves. I have growing concerns about their production process, the base materials they are using, the water for rinsing, etc. They're very clearly not using natural latex rubber, more likely a petroleum based artificial rubber. And the claims they make on the packaging about 'natural rubber' are to be taken with a shitload of salt, like ANY statement coming from China.
Jake
The Only Gay in the Village

Post by Jake »

Yeah, I think the packaging text is likely copy-pasted onto it, or they translate Chinese packaging into English. I had some fun household gloves from Asia which said "To be make hand very tasty!" on the front. I don't eat my hands so I can't produce a verdict.

In general, I've not noticed this from Chinese-origin gloves, though I've probably not bought any in a year or so. The last batch I bought were subtly sweet-smelling, which I liked. Unless that's a carcinogenic sweetness.
Jimglove
Regular poster

Post by Jimglove »

I've had a few pairs that do have a stronger latex smell, although it can be a bit different to the smell you get from gloves that come from Malaysia. I believe they do grow rubber trees in China, so it could be that the different climate, soil etc. produces a slightly different smell.

I must be honest, I've had some very nice rubber gloves from China. Some fairly awful too, but that is the same from anywhere.
rayray

Post by rayray »

GumTom wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:19 pm I've bought some long Chinese unlined rubber gloves on Amazon. They feel great but unfortunately they have an intensive strong smell, mainly on the inside. No typical rubber smell which wouldn't be a problem.
So, I have turned them inside out and washed them. But the smell does not disappear.

Do you have any ideas how I can get rid of that smell? Any similar experiences?

Thanks.
Gumtom

Any chance there are photos of the gloves which bear strange smell?
joglover
Regular poster

Post by joglover »

Could be the chlorination process. Most all dishwashing gloves made in China are chlorinated.
GumTom
Regular poster

Post by GumTom »

Unfortunately no pictures possible, I've thrown the gloves and packaging away after that dissappointment.
But the producer name is "YI-HONG" according to Amazon...

Return to “Glove talk forum”