Need Household Glove advice from people from Edinburgh!

Got gloves to trade? Looking for a specific pair? Know a good website that sells 'em? This is the place

Moderators: Jake, mrs uni

Rommeltje
The man in charge

Need Household Glove advice from people from Edinburgh!

Post by Rommeltje »

I'll be travelling to Edinburgh with my GF for a short visit this summer, and we'd (well, really I'd :rolleyes:) love to get some household gloves that aren't available elsewhere. I'm anticipating to only find regular Marigolds and Spontex gloves there (gotta go to the smaller towns to find something special, I think), but I hope I'm wrong! Anybody got any tips as to where to get some nice gloves?

If nothing else, might there be Cumfies at least? I'm not sure I'm gonna like those anyway, as I'm not much into rolled cuffs unless they're really long.
katertjekat
VIP

Re: Need Household Glove advice from people from Edinburgh!

Post by katertjekat »

You might want to visit the Waitrose shop. It's been a long time I was there, but at the time they had interesting gloves. Also don't fail to search for a Marks&Spencer, there might be interesting stuff as well
Else I must say the UK is not really interesting when it comes to rubber gloves, apart from the Marigold gloves (which I dislike with it's two tones and plastic-ish feeling and absence of rubber scent), it's mostly cheap quality: short, thin, wrinkled and paper-ish.
Jimglove
Regular poster

Post by Jimglove »

The choice of HHRG in the UK has become significantly worse since the pandemic. They're used to loads of different styles, and the quality has reduced I reckon. Marigold is everywhere, and I really don't like their gloves. I assume it's because people are buying more disposables and so shops have reduced their ranges.

I'm in England, but many shops are common to Scotland. So here's my guide to the main stores. Smaller metro/local stores tend to only sell Marigold.

Waitrose - as well as Marigold, their own brand 'Essential' yellow gloves used to be a good basic unchlorinated YRG, but they have now reduced the price, and the quality with it. No small size either. They do a sensitive unlined, chlorinated glove too. Rolled cuffs.

Tesco - Not as good as they were. Marigold plus their own gloves in pink (not the best quality) in all sizes, a two tone yellow marigold copy (actually better than marigold IMHO - less plasticky) and a heavy duty black glove. The latter two are chlorinated and rolled cuff.

Sainsburys - probably the best range (in larger stores). Like Tesco, they do their own pink and yellow gloves - same sort of spec. but also sell a range of Spontex. Marigold too.

Wilko - have a few ranges - check out their website, but all are chlorinated.

M&S - a yellow chlorinated glove. Never tried them, so can't comment.

I tend to end up scouting around for something different or buying online. B&Q (a DIY shed) sell a nice green slightly longer glove which I've mentioned before. Nice rubber smell, good length, but only one size (8).

So, it's all a bit depressing for the HHRG fetishist in the UK these days.

Good luck - look forward to hearing if you find anything different. Edinburgh is beautiful, and you'll enjoy the city.
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Thank you both!

Yeah, I was afraid it would be like that. I had the same experience in London (and the last time I went there was before the pandemic).

But this is good info! I'll try and check out B&Q, M&S and maybe Waitrose. Size 8 is fine. I don't mind a bit of oversizedness - as long as the gloves are glove-shaped, if you know what I mean. :mrgreen:
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by SexySurgical »

Was it the 'rona or the Brexit cuz I've seen Lidl carry 3 sizes/çolors like last fall/winter and Vileda's mint-cobalt classics w/ quintessential NL supermarkett Albert Heijn...?
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Haven't been to Lidl in a long time. I guess I'll have to check 'm out again.

I also haven't seen anything new in AH. The mint green ones are latex-free, so that ain't much. Nor are their yellow ones. Cheap crap.
Abigal

Post by Abigal »

Hi hun, if there is a BM Stores, they stock the thin red marigolds and usually another type. Some stores like Londis may have cheaper yellow or pink gloves and yes the DIY stores can come up with a surprise. But certainly not tons of choice. xxx
xxx Aby xxx
Rommeltje
The man in charge

Post by Rommeltje »

Abigal wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:35 pmif there is a BM Stores...
That's one I haven't heard before, I think. :hmm: Is BM an abbreviation? Or is that just their name?
Abigal

Post by Abigal »

Rommeltje wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:18 am
Abigal wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:35 pmif there is a BM Stores...
That's one I haven't heard before, I think. :hmm: Is BM an abbreviation? Or is that just their name?
Yes just their name BM Stores, looking at the website they do their own yellow hhrg, not sure if thick or think but all one colour and also the red marigolds. xxxx
xxx Aby xxx
SexySurgical
Rommeltje's Deputy

Post by SexySurgical »

I mean these:
https://www.amazon.ae/Vileda-Reusable-A ... ESZWG?th=1
https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi3 ... are-maat-l

Seen m in store there for normal prices instead of this bull:
https://www.blokker.nl/vileda-comfort-e ... 04735.html
(also other NL webshops)

Google resuls says 4 days left (more of their cleaning supplies are weekly sales):
https://www.lidl.nl/p/huishoudhandschoenen/p115731
Rommeltje wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:18 pm Haven't been to Lidl in a long time. I guess I'll have to check 'm out again.

I also haven't seen anything new in AH. The mint green ones are latex-free, so that ain't much. Nor are their yellow ones. Cheap crap.
I like them mint for dishes, though eventually tear and leak. Not much exciting for forum's purposes :lmao:
https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi4 ... nen-maat-s

They also look crappy in store packaging wise. Price of 69ct (compare above - 3 EUR) rather obvious...
https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi1 ... nen-maat-l

Return to “The Market Square”